How to Freeze Eggs | Cupcake Project

How to Freeze Eggs

How to Freeze Eggs

Freezing eggs helps save those stray egg whites or egg yolks left over from meringues, custards, or even making cupcakes.  You can freeze egg whites, egg yolks, or even whole eggs (after they’ve been cracked).  When I first learned how to freeze eggs from Sara at Go Gigham during BlogHer Food, I was skeptical.  Would the frozen eggs really work just as well as fresh ones?  When I tried freezing eggs at home, I gave the frozen eggs the ultimate test – whipping egg whites into a meringue.  The defrosted egg whites worked just as well as fresh ones;  I was sold!

Frozen Eggs

Orka 6 Cup Muffin Pan - Color Raspberry

Although you don't need a cupcake tin to freeze eggs, using one makes it easy to freeze the eggs in quantities that are useful for baking.  If you freeze all the eggs together in one big container, it's not convenient when you need just two egg whites, yolks, or whole eggs for a recipe.  If you use a tin, once the eggs are frozen, you can pop them out of the wells and into a freezer bag so they take up less space.  As you see above, I used a metal cupcake tin.  I found removing the frozen eggs to be a little tricky, so I'd suggest using a silicone tin instead.

View on Amazon.com

How to Freeze Eggs

How to Freeze Eggs

• Eggs (whole eggs that have been cracked, only egg yolks, or only egg whites)
  • pinch of salt per every two egg yolks if using only egg yolks and you plan to use the yolks in a savory recipe
  • 3/4 teaspoon sugar per every two egg yolks if using only egg yolks and you plan to use the yolks in a sweet recipe

1. Place eggs into the wells of a cupcake tin (each well can hold one whole egg, two egg whites, or two egg yolks).
  2. If you are using whole eggs or egg yolks, use a toothpick to break the yolk up a little bit.
  3. According to Incredible Egg, if you are using only egg yolks, the yolks will thicken or gel when frozen. To prevent this, stir in either salt or sugar prior to freezing.
  4. Freeze filled cupcake tin overnight.
  5. To remove frozen eggs, rest tin in warm water for a few seconds. Warning: The eggs defrost really quickly, so don't leave them in the water any longer than necessary.
  6. Pop the eggs out of the tin and store them in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer. The eggs can be stored in the freezer for up to a year.
  7. When ready to use, defrost in the refrigerator or in a bowl resting in warm water for about 10 minutes.
  8. Use as you would any other eggs.

17 Responses to How to Freeze Eggs

1. Ashley @ PolkaDot Square July 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Oooh weird – never would have thought! Thanks for the cool tip!

2. Kim Campbell July 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

I am so excited to see this post as I am now the proud owner of 14 laying hens! I love having fresh eggs, but worry that I’m not going to get all of them used or sold before they go bad. I am absolutely in love with this idea! Thank you so much for sharing!
    However, I do have one question. Have you ever had any issues with making meringue from fresh eggs, and by fresh I mean, fresh from the chicken that morning? I tried making some over the 4th of July and I could not get it to form into stiff peaks? It got the shiny surface to it, but it never got stiff enough to be what I would consider stiff peak meringue. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I just thought maybe my egg whites were too fresh? I know, weird right?!

• Stef July 11, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I’m getting hens soon too! We just got approved today. I’m so excited! I’ve never heard of eggs being too fresh. Did you try adding some cream of tartar?

• Kim Campbell July 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

That’s awesome!! I love having the hens around! I did try adding cream of tartar and it didn’t change anything. I ended up adding some meringue powder to them just to try stiffening them up. It worked a bit, but I still didn’t get the results that I wanted.

3. Amy Doodle July 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

This is a great tip! I can’t count all the times I’ve had a whole bowl of egg yolks staring at me…only to finally give up and scramble them up for my dog…. And just like Kim (although I don’t have 14 hens!) we are starting our own little urban farm and may need to keep this in mind!

Sorry I can’t answer Kim’s question, I’ve not heard of this, but I’m sure I’ll find out over the coming months, as my hens mature and begin producing eggs.

Look forward to hearing other comments on this!

4. Luli July 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

That’s really cool, but do you, by any chance, know how much longer they last frozen?

• Stef July 12, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

They last for a year,

5. Kimberly Hughes July 11, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

This is fantastic. I usually just cook them up and feed them to the dogs, but I didn’t know I could freeze them and use them later. Thanks.

• Maureen October 3, 2013 at 10:56 am #

You can freeze them after you cook them too, just make sure to thaw them overnight before you try to heat them up, otherwise they get an odd texture

6. Rima @ Bolu by Rima July 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

Wah, thank you for this brilliant tip! I always have leftovers of either or, so I will try this tip!

7. Nessa July 12, 2013 at 7:06 am #

Such a fabulous tip! I’ll definitely be using this :)

8. mom929 July 12, 2013 at 8:27 am #

As someone who just threw out 8 egg yolks after baking I will certainly be using this tip. Since I don’t have a silicone cupcake tin I’m thinking of lining each cup with some plastic wrap to make removing the eggs easier. Think it would work?

9. Monica @ TheYummyLife July 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

This is SUCH a helpful tip. I’ve honestly never heard of freezing raw eggs before, and I love the muffin tin idea. So clever! I often throw away egg yolks, when only I only need the whites for a recipe. No more! Thanks. Pinned it.

• Stef July 16, 2013 at 11:58 pm #

Thanks! I was so excited when I learned about it!

10. Candi July 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Our chef in school taught us this, but I love how you put it into a post and using muffin tins. I never thought of this.

11. Imee October 9, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

Up to a year??? I didn’t know that! I read somewhere that you can freeze eggs up to 3 months, so I almost always end up chucking them out because I don’t bake very often. Now I know! Thank you!!!

1. The Internet Kitchen: Front Range Hike! - Macheesmo - July 12, 2013

[...] How to Freeze Eggs - I actually rarely have eggs that I need to freeze, but I can see freezing egg whites and yolks because I frequently need one or the other but not both! Great tip. (@ Cupcake Project) [...]