Gefilte Fish Cupcakes with Horseradish Whipped Cream

Gefilte Fish Cupcakes with Horseradish Whipped Cream

cupcakes, Passover

You won’t have to warn people that these gefilte fish cupcakes with horseradish whipped cream are not typical sweet cupcakes.  The smell of fish and onions will do all of the talking for you.  An adorable cupcake shape, however, might be just the hook that gefilte “fish” needs to be the catch of your Seder.

Gefilte Fish Recipe

There are two options for making gefilte fish cupcakes.

1. Buy jarred gefilte fish, cut it up, and smoosh it into silicone cupcake wrappers (paper ones will get too wet).  Then, top with the horseradish whipped cream recipe below.
  2. Follow the recipe for homemade gefilte fish that I used for my pan fried gefilte fish, but instead of pan frying, divide the mixture between twelve silicone cupcake liners and bake for 30 minutes at 325 F.  Wait until the fish cupcakes cool and then top with the horseradish whipped cream recipe below.

Horseradish Whipped Cream Recipe

• 1 C heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tbsp horseradish (go for the red stuff to make it look more appealing)
  1. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  2. Mix in horseradish. (Note: Some of my tasters felt that the horseradish flavor wasn’t strong enough.  You can try adding more, but do so a little bit at a time.  If you add too much, it will cause the whipped cream to be too heavy and fall.  I think if I made these again, I would use a cupcake corer and fill the inside with horseradish.  Wouldn’t that be a happy surprise for people?)
  3. Pipe on the cupcakes.

13 comments on “Gefilte Fish Cupcakes with Horseradish Whipped Cream”

1. Rachael says:

I’ll be honest I was originally going /blech/ but then I read the recipe and realized it’s really just fish and horseradish whipped cream in a cupcake shape. Cool!
    In other news, my pet rats have decided that my silicon cupcake wrappers are great play things- they managed to grab one and have claimed it for their own….

2. byron says:

You amaze me again and again, Stef. Would love to try one, but I think i’m too late
    enjoy the holiday,

3. Bennie says:

I honestly thought you were joking on the gefilte fish post, when you said next up “gefilte fish cupcakes” LOL!

4. Susan says:

This is brilliant and wacky at the same time. Not sure I’m adventurous enough to try it at Passover this year, but I just might. We all need a little surprise and humour nowadays.

5. Anonymous says:

Creative but fish and dairy isn’t an option at some Seder tables….

6. Isreview says:

now that’s a new take on Gefilte Fish :) gotta say I never would have thought of it myself!

7. rochellerochelle says:

I dont think anything horseradish is a happy surprise!!! But youve certainly aded some style to gefilte fish!!!

8. Dinah says:

I have to say, it doesn’t sound very appealing at first glance – i guess it is the sweetness associated to cupcakes that confuses the brain. I would love to serve this at the Seder!

9. Anonymous says:

If dairy won’t cut it at your Seder table, this would be a great thing to do with leftover gefilte fish at a dairy meal later on in the holiday…

10. Oy! Just to be fair,I’m gonna try this out,but Stef,seriously this at first blush sounds rather gross!

11. Anonymous says:

Meat and dairy together aren’t kosher, but fish is parve, so it’s absolutely acceptable to have fish and dairy together.

12. Anonymous says:

The problem isn’t the fish and dairy, it’s that most Seder meals are meat.

13. Anonymous says:

You could try non-dairy whipping “cream”. I’ve never used it, but the horseradish would be the flavor, so I can’t imagine it would be bad.

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment