Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

Brown sugar frosting is one of my most favorite frostings. If you use light brown sugar, as shown above, the brown sugar frosting tastes like a thicker version of the glaze on a glazed doughnut. If you use dark brown sugar, as shown below, the flavor is a bit richer and the frosting is somewhat more creamy. This makes sense since dark brown sugar is really just light brown sugar plus additional molasses.

You can’t go wrong either way.

Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

I got the delectable brown sugar frosting recipe from Southern Food on About.Com.

Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar

1. In a saucepan, melt butter.
  2. Add the brown sugar.
  3. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium low, and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add the milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
  6. Gradually add sifted confectioners' sugar. (I would highly recommend sifting this confectioners' sugar. It's such a pain to sift, but it ensures that the frosting will be extra smooth.)
  7. Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.

FYI: The top photo is of my sweet potato casserole cupcake. The bottom photo is from my gluten-free quinoa cupcake.

27 comments on “Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe”

1. Trish says:

I’ve never made this type of frosting before…but it is beautiful and simple…great over a spice cupcake I bet!

2. D@nielle says:

oh I’m so happy with this recipe, as of last month I’m not allowed a lot of white sugar only brown sugar and unrefined brown sugar. Definately trying this thanks !

3. Ivy says:

I just love brown sugar!
    Molasses too.;>

4. Astrid says:

I just used your recipe to make the frosting for my thanksgiving cupcakes (dark chocolate pumpkin cupcakes). Thank you so much for the idea. It came out so wonderful. And it smells amazing while its boiling.

5. Anonymous says:

I haven’t had this for decades, when my grandmother use to make for special occasions. It triggered old memories, and I just mixed up a batch for the cake in the oven. Thanks for bringing this back into my life.

6. This recipe looks fantastic! My step dad hates icing so this would be perfect for him so he stops complaining :)

7. Anonymous says:

oh my god, my batch turned out so sweet I had to drink 3 bottles of water afterwards. Anyway, thanks for the recipe!

8. This looks amazing! I’m totally going to whip up a batch of banana cupcakes and frost them with this. Thanks for sharing!

9. Anonymous says:

You just saved the day! I made apple “brownies” that turned out to be apple cake – in dire need of frosting. Perfect for dinner tonight!

10. Robinbird says:

Mmm…I may have to try this on some blueberry cupcakes!

11. Anonymous says:

Just finished making this frosting for my banana cupcakes (also your recipe!) Sooooo excited to try these!

12. Laurie says:

Just made this to top Trader Joes Pumpkin Bread mix. Made it taste homemade! Thanks!

13. Anonymous says:

very good on oatmeal cake.

14. molly says:

I turned your frosting into a glaze and tested it on some faux chicken drumsticks for April Fool’s Day and it was delicious! Thanks for the Sugar Rush!

15. Seana says:

Used this frosting on your Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes. Was a huge hit with the family AND a classroom of picky third graders.

16. dollface says:

goes good with these and some almond extract top with a cherry:)

17. Julia Hayes says:

This is very similar to my grandma’s brown sugar frosting, but we always thicken it with peanut butter instead of powdered sugar (which would, of course, change the taste). Now I have a nephew allergic to nuts, so I am anxious to try your recipe in place of grandma’s. Thanks for sharing!

18. Ashley says:

I am going to try this frosting on crepes this morning. Hopefully they will turn out good!

19. Fionavar says:

Is the measurement for the powdered sugar before or after it’s been sifted?

20. elaine says:

I just made this and icing is wonderful

21. I had to add more powdered sugar to get this to a spreading consistency, and also added some vanilla and cinnamon because it was WAY sweet. Easy to make. I used soy milk because we did not have any regular milk in the house. Maybe this was part of the spreading problem, it is more watery?

22. Danielle says:

Does this frosting have to be refrigerated? Or can it sit out on the counter on top of a cake/cupcakes?

23. Jane says:

I made an apple cake that didn’t call for icing but I found your recipe and making it right now. Can’t wait to try it!

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment