Oreo Cupcakes – With a Built-In Cup for Milk | Cupcake Project

Oreo Cupcakes – With a Built-In Cup for Milk

Oreo cupcake + Oreo cream cheese frosting + mini homemade Oreo cookies + chocolate liqueur cup filled with milk = fun + yum!

Oreo Cupcake Shout-Out

Before I detail how to make the Oreo cupcake and also present some key tips on how to eat it without getting milk everywhere, I have to give a major shout-out to Kendall from Res-o-puh-leese. I get reader questions all the time, and I’m always happy to help where I can. However, I LOVE answering questions that are really challenging – questions that I have never thought of before.

Kendall emailed me saying, “I’m co-hosting a St. Patrick’s Day party next month, and I had the idea to make shot glass cupcakes–cupcakes hollowed out around a container holding some Bailey’s.” I was immediately enamored with the concept of a cupcake with a built-in cup. I decided to try it out with more of a kid theme – but wouldn’t the Bailey’s idea be fantastic?! Be sure to visit Res-o-puh-leese, Kendall clearly has some great ideas!

Now.. onto to the Oreo cupcake details…

Aside from Oreos, Bissinger’s liqueur cups were the key ingredient in these Oreo cupcakes. The cups are the perfect size to fit inside the cupcakes and they are able to hold the milk (which soon turns into chocolate milk) without it leaking into the cupcake.

The liqueur cups come in a 12 pack and you can buy them at Sur La Table. (UPDATE: It looks like they are sold out. You could buy this similar product on Amazon.) Since I’m in St. Louis, we have Bissinger’s shops all over and I was able to pick them up locally. You could, of course, make your own chocolate cups. I don’t imagine it would be all that hard – just time intensive.

The Oreo cupcakes rose nice and high, which left tons of room to put the chocolate cup in the cupcake. If you are going to use this technique with a different kind of cupcake, make sure that the cupcake is tall and domed, not flat. Before putting the liqueur cup in the cupcake, make sure that the cupcake is COMPLETELY cooled. You do not want to melt the chocolate.

Use a small paring knife to cut a wedge out of the cupcake and then stick the cup in the void. I used some cake from the wedges to make the mouths on my cupcakes. The wedges are also perfect to simply snack on!

I found that the easiest way to fill the cup with milk was to use a small funnel. Don’t fill the cups until right before you are ready to serve the cupcakes.

Just like there are many ways to eat an Oreo, there are many ways to eat an Oreo cupcake. However, there is one key guideline: Do not bite into the cup until you have drunk all the milk or you will end up with mess! I had twelve cupcakes with cups and only one taster ended up with a milky mess -Alan of Patric Chocolate. Alan claimed that it had nothing to do with him biting into the cup and everything to do with his cup having a crack. I’m still inclined to blame user error.

You can use up the milk by dunking Oreos in the cup as shown above. This works best if you have mini Oreos. I used my homemade Oreos. You could also just break up full-sized ones up into pieces.

Another idea is to break of the bottom of the cupcake and dunk pieces of the cake in the milk. To get those last few sips, just hold the cupcake up to your face and drink! Don’t worry if you get frosting on your face – just look in the mirror, smile, and then lick it off!

Oreo Cupcake Recipe

I got the Oreo cupcake recipe from Heaven is Chocolate, Cheese, and Carbs. It is a really good, basic chocolate cupcake with Oreo bits mixed in. You could use any chocolate or yellow cake cupcake recipe you like in place of this one and simply mix in Oreo bits. I converted the recipe (shown below) from its original metric to US customary units, and added my notes.

Oreo Cupcakes – With a Built-In Cup for Milk

Yield: 18 cupcakes*

Oreo Cupcakes – With a Built-In Cup for Milk

• 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 2 1/4 C brown sugar
  • 8 oz dark chocolate, melted
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 3/4 C milk
  • 8 Oreo cookies, smashed to bits

1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in egg yolks.
  3. Mix in vanilla and chocolate.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
  5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter/sugar mixture.
  6. Stir in Oreos.
  7. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until peaks form.
  8. Fold the batter into the egg whites.
  9. Fill cupcake liners almost to the top - remember that you want these to be tall.
  10. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Notes

*Only 12 got the special cup treatment. The rest just got slathered with Oreo cream cheese frosting.

68 Responses to Oreo Cupcakes – With a Built-In Cup for Milk

1. Erin February 25, 2009 at 11:06 am #

I bow down to you Queen of Cupcakes. This is pure genius!

2. Sydney February 25, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Stef!! Pure Genius!!

3. Rachel February 25, 2009 at 11:08 am #

That is such a cute idea!

4. ironstef February 25, 2009 at 11:21 am #

fantastic!!! adorable! WANT!!!

5. Knot By Gran'ma February 25, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

Wow. That’s the greatest cupcake idea I’ve ever seen… now when can I come up with an excuse to make them?

6. Cakespy February 25, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

OK, this is completely amazing. Completely amazing, do you hear me???

7. C.L. February 25, 2009 at 12:40 pm #

Brrrrriliant!!!lurerv it!

8. CB February 25, 2009 at 12:52 pm #

Bril. Absolutely bril. Who says pregnancy makes you dumber? haha.
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

9. Vallie February 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

OMG! THis is hilarious and amazing! I want one right now!!
    What an awesome idea!

10. All for free recipes February 25, 2009 at 2:10 pm #

that is so creative! i love your built-in cup for milk.

11. thereddeer February 25, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Hehe! What a great idea.

12. Elyse February 25, 2009 at 3:29 pm #

Oh my goodness. You are amazing. Simply amazing. What a creative, clever, and AWESOME idea. I cannot wait to try this. A cupcake shot glass? Oh the possibilities! And to top it all off, the cupcakes look absolutely delicious!

13. veggievixen February 25, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

that is adorable! it reminds me of the bundt cake with a flower in the middle in my big fat greek wedding…but in all seriousness, this looks so delicious!

14. Vicki Bensinger February 26, 2009 at 6:03 am #

I love this idea. How creative. This is everyones dream. This appeals to the kid in all of us. I’ll have to try these. Thanks for sharing.

15. Lisa February 26, 2009 at 8:58 am #

You are so clever! I think of myself as creative and yet I never think of stuff like this. Your posts almost always make me smile. And then they make me think of all kinds of great things I want to try in the kitchen.

16. Katie February 26, 2009 at 10:51 am #

WOW! What a great idea!

17. Aggie February 26, 2009 at 2:05 pm #

These are just adorable….you are so talented!

first time here…found you on foodgawker.

18. MaryBeth February 26, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

What a wonderful idea, simply fantastic. Great Job!! they also look very yummy…

19. lyndsay February 26, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

no!! you genius!!! how awesome!!

20. Lysy February 27, 2009 at 8:42 am #

That is the most creative idea for a cupcake I ever saw!! And many congrats on the baby news (the pickled cucumber cupcake tickled me no end)!

21. Megan February 27, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

That is an awesome idea! I must suggest that for a wedding reception dessert next time a friend gets married.

22. Cynthia February 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

FANTASTIC idea. I’ve never seen anything like it before. You are definitely on to something here, girlie!

23. Maria February 27, 2009 at 6:05 pm #

Those are the coolest cupcakes EVER!! Love them!

24. I'd Like a Cookie March 1, 2009 at 7:23 pm #

We LOVE your creative cupcakes and your photography!

Just FYI, The Celebrity Apprentice made and sold cupcakes on the premiere episode. We blogged a pseudo play-by-play just for laughs!

25. Kim March 2, 2009 at 11:19 am #

How perfect for a big-kids birthday party! I’m thinking I have Maddy’s next birthday covered!

26. Heather March 2, 2009 at 3:14 pm #

how freakin cute are those?!?! i love the little milk cup. they look and sound so delicious!!

27. Lisa Marie March 10, 2009 at 7:10 pm #

These are AMAZING!!! So creative… I seriously smile every time I see the picture! :)

28. Katie March 19, 2009 at 5:56 am #

OH MY GOD INCREDIBLE. I WANT ONE. MAKE THAT 10.

29. hornedfroggy April 2, 2009 at 6:56 am #

That is sooooo cool! :) And the mini oreos are adorable! Thanks for stopping by My Baking Heart!!

30. Ashlee Andersen May 2, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

I love this idea! My husband is the general manager for a dairy co-op and I always make treats for the board meetings, when I saw this I knew I had to make it for them.. The only problem is, is I can’t find those bissinger cups anywhere!

31. Anonymous May 9, 2009 at 11:13 am #

I made my first ever cupcakes today and they turned out absolutely fab.. only i didnt have the milk cup in them.. love the recipe!!

32. Stef May 10, 2009 at 8:13 pm #

Ashlee – Hope you saw the email I sent you about getting the cups on Amazon.

Anon – I’m so glad this worked out for you!! I hope you have many more successful cupcake baking experiences in the future!

33. Poni Deltorro July 31, 2009 at 11:45 am #

BRILLIANT!

34. Anonymous August 2, 2009 at 5:29 am #

..and then i say something -_-

35. thereddeer August 9, 2009 at 8:33 pm #

I made these and blogged about it – they were sensational!!

Check it out if you want to: http://the-red-deer.blogspot.com/2009/08/baking-mondays-o-is-for-oreo-cupcakes.html

36. Katy August 15, 2009 at 10:48 am #

I’m extremely tempted to make these sometime… Just gotta wait until I have money for the chocolate liquer cups. :O

37. Cupcake August 26, 2009 at 10:44 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

38. Cupcake August 26, 2009 at 10:44 am #

Absolutely amazing!!!

Featured here:

39. courtenay September 13, 2009 at 10:26 am #

would it work with semi sweet chocolate you think? that’s all i have at the moment…

can’t wait to try these!!! yum!

40. Stef September 14, 2009 at 10:32 am #

Courtenay – It should work fine – it will be a bit sweeter, but if it’s what you’ve got on hand, I say, go for it!

41. courtenay September 17, 2009 at 8:58 am #

it worked! they were delicious. i added an oreo to the bottom of each cupcake and baked them. yummm. icing was wonderful as well!

42. sana October 18, 2009 at 10:07 pm #

Hi Stef,

I want to make these and take them to work on Thursday (only cupcakes and frosting).If I make these and frost them the night b4 will they hold well? Should I keep them in the fridge after frosting them?

43. Stef October 19, 2009 at 7:33 pm #

Sana – You can definitely make them the night before and it’s fine to leave them out of the fridge – just don’t pour the milk in. ;)

44. Deidra Holder October 23, 2009 at 6:14 pm #

I can’t wait for an occasion to make these! Possibly graduation…I smell a delicious cupcake party!

45. Florida Girl In Sydney October 31, 2009 at 2:53 am #

Those are cupcakes are pure genius! I would love to know if you have any cupcake opinions or advice on something. I want to make soccer ball cupcakes for a bday party next weekend. I’d like the cupcakes to be moist chocolate cake (I usually make them with zucchini but wasn’t sure if I should for a bday party?) anyway.. topped with buttercream and then an oreo cookie covered with flat image of a soccer ball made of fondant. Um, does that sound insane — any suggestions in this cupcake adventure?
    I just took fondant classes (it’s on my blog) and I so need to try to do this on my own! Cheers.

46. Stef October 31, 2009 at 5:56 pm #

Florida Girl – Sounds like you already have it all figured out. It sounds like they will be awesome! Good luck! BTW – I say go for the zucchini.

47. Chelsey December 4, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

amazing idea. just amazing

48. Paulina December 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

I just made these, but they didn’t rise properly… so they were really flat which didn’t allow me to put the cups into the cupcake :(

49. Frog Princess January 22, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

hmmm would it be possible to use bittersweet chocolate instead? i don’t have any dark chocolate :(

50. Stef January 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

Frog – Sure! That should work just fine. :)

51. LoisK June 17, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Is it ok to skim the sugar by a quarter to half a cup? it sounds like it’s too sweet with all the oreo and the chocolate in there

52. Stef June 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

LoisK – That should be fine.

53. Anonymous November 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

LOVE the overall taste, but my frosting looked unappetizing with the Oreo bits turning it nearly gray. Another idea would be to leave the cream cheese frosting beautiful white, then sprinkle crushed Oreos on the top of the white-frosted cupcake. Then folks can see they are eating Oreos. Delighted to have found this site, BTW – many thanks!

54. Anonymous March 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Myy cupcakes rose with a nice crown while baking but I watched through the oven window as they deflated, caving into themselves. Also I had enough batter to easily make 35 regular size cupcakes. Any thoughts on what happened?

55. Stef March 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

Anon – Not sure. How did they taste? I’m wondering if you accidentally put too much of some ingredient.

56. Tina June 16, 2011 at 4:14 am #

Stef, what I have here is oreo cookies with cream in the middle. Should i crushed the oreo together with the cream or leave the cream out?

57. Stef June 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Tina – Crush with the cream.

58. Unknown August 26, 2011 at 3:48 am #

Stef, I am baking the oreo cupcakes today. Can’t wait to taste them! I also need to bake chocolate cupcakes. Do you have a recipe that you use or do you think I could just make the oreo recipe minus the oreos. Love your site, it’s my new favorite. Thanks, Kelly

59. Anonymous September 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Just finished making these. I must have done something wrong. Mine did not rise tall like yours. They were pretty flat. Also, my oreo frosting kept clogging up my pastry tip as I was piping it on too. It would come out slow & then all of a sudden come out in a huge glob. Completely aggravating. They taste good though despite that.

60. Kaylee October 19, 2012 at 12:47 am #

A honeymoon to Mexico promises adventurous couples a lot of action and romantic time at beautiful beaches.
    Prom Dresses

1. Oreo Cookies Made From Scratch – Just Like the Ones From the Box, Only Better | Cupcake Project - May 13, 2013

[...] are still used in countless desserts. My personal favorite is Oreo cheesecake (not to slight my Oreo cupcakes). Oreo cheesecake was in the dessert cycle in our cafeteria on Semester at Sea and I just [...]

2. Friday Favorites | Iowa Girl Eats - January 7, 2014

[...] Favorite Over the Top Dessert: Oreo Cupcake with Built In Milk Cup [...]

3. OMG Oreo Cheesecake Frosting | Cupcake Project - January 14, 2014

[...] that I could, to some degree, replicate the feel of a good Oreo cheesecake in the frosting for my Oreo cupcake.  Oreo cheesecake frosting was [...]

4. 20 Stuffed foods you'll want to stuff your face with « Secured Archives Secured Archives - April 25, 2014

[...] what’s not to love? The next time you crave a cupcake, don’t go boring. Choose this Oreo cupcake with built-in cup for milk. You can dunk while you [...]

5. 20 Stuffed foods you’ll want to stuff your face with | News 12 - April 25, 2014

6. Oreo Cupcakes with a Built-In Milk Cup and Homemade Mini Oreos - October 20, 2014

[...] a crazy cupcake idea that would be the gateway to my failure… I was inspired by Stef from The Cupcake Project (she’s actually the mad “Cookie Monster” behind this crazy). The idea of meshing [...]

7. Oreos 'n Milk Cupcakes with Actual Milk! - October 21, 2014