Homemade Lucky Charms – Are You Up for the Challenge? | Cupcake Project

Homemade Lucky Charms – Are You Up for the Challenge?

When I share recipes, my hope is that you will bake and enjoy them in your home.  I believe that everyone can and should bake from scratch and I try to install confidence in newbies so that they can bake cupcakes that people will rave about.

I opted for the original Lucky Charms shapes: pink hearts, orange stars, yellow moons,
green clovers, and blue diamonds (the first added shape).  The shapes now are somewhat different.

That said, making homemade Lucky Charms is not for everyone.

You can read that sentence as a warning or as a challenge to be one of the few who are up to the task.  I will never make them again.  That’s not because they turned out poorly.  No, quite the opposite – they were amazing!  However, homemade Lucky Charms were so labor-intensive that both Jonathan and I are still recovering – we have blisters on our thumbs from continuous pressing on cookie cutters (Jonathan had to take over after my fingers hurt so much that I couldn’t cut anymore).

Making Lucky Charms from scratch is an achievement that I am proud of, but like climbing Mount Everest, it is not something that I would recommend to everyone.  Sure, you could do it.  You could follow the steps and make it happen.  But, other than the cool factor, the brag factor, and the OMG I just did this factor, I can only think of one compelling reason to make homemade Lucky Charms.

Host a Lucky Charms Pledge Drive

You’ve been asked for pledges by your friends and family who run marathons, or maybe you’ve been the one asking them for pledges when you’ve run one.  People have to give the runner a certain amount of money when they complete the challenge, and the money they collect is then turned over to a worthy charity.  Since making homemade Lucky Charms is like a marathon for your thumbs (you’ll understand once you start cutting those little shapes out), you could ask your friends and family to donate to your favorite charity in exchange for you creating homemade Lucky Charms.  As a bonus, pledges over a certain amount could receive a thank you bowl of homemade Lucky Charms.

Do you think your friends would pledge?

How to Make Homemade Lucky Charms

If you’ve made it this far in this post, you are clearly not scared off by hard work.  I’m impressed.   Here’s what you’ll need to do to make homemade Lucky Charms:

1. Before you even begin your project, procure the correct cookie cutters.  Luckily, they all come in the same set: Ateco 12 Piece Aspic/Jelly Cutter Set, .5 Inch
  2. Next, you’ll want to make some homemade corn syrup.  Store-bought corn syrup won’t work since it doesn’t crystallize in the same way that homemade corn syrup does and the marshmallows won’t get as crunchy.
  3. Then, set aside three days to make the marshmallows.
  4. I could tell you how to make the marshmallows, but I used Brave Tart’s Method almost word for word, so you should just read the instructions there.  The only change I made was to leave out the orange flower water (it didn’t matter at all).  I would also advise that when you pour out the marshmallow onto cookie sheets (shown above) that you err on the too thin rather than too thick side.  I made some of my colors overly thick and it took them an extra two days to dry.
  5. After your marshmallows are all ready to go, mix them with homemade frosted Cheerios.
  6. Eat by the handful, enjoy in cereal, or save them for Lucky Charms cupcakes.

49 Responses to Homemade Lucky Charms – Are You Up for the Challenge?

1. Ashley March 2, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Sure looks neat, but I’ll take your advice and pass on that project. :)

2. Anonymous March 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

I just wish it was simpler…

3. Kamaile March 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

impressive indeed. My thumbs hurt just looking at all those tiny marshmallows. Maybe there’s some sort of contraption you could attach to the jelly cutters so that it’s more like stamping than pushing with thumbs?

4. Im At Home Baking March 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

I have to say I am impressed and will have to try this eventually!

5. Jennifer Carden March 2, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

Oddly enough I own the Ateco 12 Piece Aspic/Jelly Cutter Set, .5 Inch
    Now I HAVE to make these!!!

6. Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking March 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

I have to try and make these. We don’t have luckt charms cereal in the UK, not that I’ve seen anyway since living here since birth, lol.

I remember trying the cereal abroad and loved it. I want to make these for my kids to try :)

• Sarah April 1, 2012 at 2:56 am #

you can buy them over here, from American food suppliers online, or at Selfridges! That should give you a clue as to how expensive they are!!! lol. Last time i looked, about £7.50 a box!!!

7. Anonymous March 5, 2012 at 7:13 pm #

If you wanted the same taste in future, but with less effort (and obviously less lucky charms appearance) couldn’t you just cut up the marshmallow into little squares? I imagine it would be more efficient, and taste the same, but granted it would look far less pretty!

8. Stef March 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Anon – Absolutely!! In fact, I have a whole container of non-cut up marshmallows and I used a bunch of those in my Lucky Charms cupcakes where it didn’t matter what the shape was.

9. Margherita March 6, 2012 at 1:28 am #

You did great but this goes way beyond my cooking skills…

• Stef March 6, 2012 at 4:21 am #

You could do it, it’s just a LOT of work. Check out the cupcakes though. You can make them with store-bought Lucky Charms.

10. Deptford Pudding March 6, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Wow, life’s too short…well done you!

11. Rachel W. March 6, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Oh, challenge accepted! I’m not doing anything next weekend…:)

I agree with Anon; I would forgo the pretty shapes unless I was making this for someone as a gift (big mason jar, pretty ribbon…). I’m passing on this recipe to everyone I know! Thanks for the cupcake recipe, too!

12. Katie Mar March 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

i’m going to leave this one to you… but, i’m really loving it! i wish i had the labor skills to do this lol

13. Eliza R March 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

March 8 is National Agriculture Day – could you make a sweet cream cupcake? Something that tastes like slightly warm sweet fresh milk?

14. Kelli @ RTSM March 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

This is so much fun! I want to try, but you kind of scared me with how much work it takes! They are so cute though, so I think it is totally worth it…at least once:)

15. Anonymous March 10, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I found these aspic cutters in St. Louis at Kitchen Conservatory for $10.95 — less than the Amazon price and no shipping for local shoppers.

16. .aubrey c. March 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Amazing!!

gandacummings.blogspot.com

17. Nicola March 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

I absolutely love this idea! I live in the UK and sadly Lucky Charms aren’t easily available here anymore. My children tried them once and loved them so I really want to try this :-)

18. Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

i love that the instructions consist of “read these other instructions on how to do this” as a step.

19. Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 3:47 am #

I used to just toss mini marshmallows into the food dehydrator and blam, they become the right consistancy. They aren’t colored, sized, or shaped right but I can live with that. Full size marshmallows take longer but come out even more awesome. You have to let them cool.

20. Mamarox March 22, 2012 at 7:14 am #

An easy labor-saver when using small cutters to make lots and lots of pieces: Buy a bunch of rubber erasers (the rectangular shape). Press the cutters (as many as you want, or can fit) into the eraser, just enough so there’s a decent indentation. Remove the cutters from the eraser. Carefully brush superglue around the outside edges of the cutters, where they will be seated in the eraser, and reinsert them into their respective places. Let glue set, and then “stamp” at will.

• Stef March 22, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I love this idea. The only problem I see is that you need to be able to get to the backside of the cookie cutters to pop the Lucky Charms out.

21. Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Expanding on Mamarox’s great suggestion-

- Get a flat piece of wood.
    - Glue several cutters to the wood, arranged as closely as possible.
    - Stamp out several marshmallows at a time.

Yum.

• Stef March 22, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Great idea but, see my comment to Mamarox above.

22. C:) March 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm #

I bet this would work:

23. Jeff Resta March 26, 2012 at 7:10 am #

You shouldn’t be using cookie cutters! You should be using an extruder, the kind you use with polymer clay. You screw a “die” (a disk with a die-cut shape in it) on the front, and then press out the material in a log, which you can cut into pieces when it firms up. Extruders run from $15 for little craft ones to a hundred bucks or more for the professional ones.

• Jeff Resta March 26, 2012 at 7:24 am #

I can pretty much guarantee you this is how General Mills makes their marshmallows.

24. Green March 29, 2012 at 8:24 am #

If you’d rather not spend as much on the metal cutters I suggest you go to Joann’s Fabric, Michael’s Craft stores or Dick Blick Art Supplies and look for “
    Premo! Sculpey® Fashion Art Mini Metal Cutters”
    They costs less (but they don’t have a crescent moon shape… but Sculpey offers a lot of other shapes) AND you can usually find a 40% off coupon at Michael’s website (they also accept coupons on your smart phone through their app). Joann’s and Dick Blick also offer coupons so it’ll cost more like $3-4 only.

Suggestion, if you place all the cutters side by side in a tight group on your marshmallow and use a hard flat surface (like a small cutting board) to press on them you can “die cut” all the charms at once in a group, saves your fingers and speeds up the process?

25. Silvia April 10, 2012 at 6:01 am #

This was Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I tried Count Chocula once or twice as a child, and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I live in Israel, and someone decided that the marshmallows aren’t kosher or something, so no one imports them here. I tried buying them on amazon, but the shipping costs are absurdly expensive.
    Last week I made these marshmallows (cut them into squares with a knife) and added them to chocolate flavored cereals, and it was great!
    Thanks a million for helping me relive childhood memories!

26. Tricia K. April 20, 2012 at 10:12 am #

I wonder if you could use a food dehydrator to cut down on the drying time for the marshmallows.

27. Anonymous May 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

I think you could affix (with glue) the cutters to a wooden dowel or to a block printing roller and roll out your cuts (just be sure to roll through cornstarch periodically to keep from sticking. Could be both a time saver and a thumb saver!

28. Anonymous May 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

I did this and now I’m not sure it was worth it. I’m not a big fan of lucky charms to begin with I just wanted a nice challenge.

29. Anonymous May 17, 2012 at 5:24 pm #

My Name’s Jeff Williams .I just read through your profile and decided to write you.I’m a single dad of a lovely girl. I am an engineer and the nature of my job takes me places.

Your profile warmed my heart. You look so cute, decent and with this gorgeous picture of you, i don’t think i have the exact word to express myself at the moment .I am so interested in getting to know more about you.I signed into this site recently in search of someone honest, caring, understanding and, above all, have a good sense of humor.Someone not to have a fling or temporary relationship with, but a forever lasting relationship. Age, distance and location should be no barriers to her cause i don’t mind relocating for the right woman.

I’m an Irish man and i live in Canada,i am here on a job which i will soon be done

Email: jeff_williams4love@yahoo.com
    Jeff Williams

• Anonymous June 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

awkward… Stef’s married.

• Anonymous June 15, 2012 at 6:20 am #

He just wants her lucky charms

30. Anonymous October 9, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Gonna make these today. Sticky mess here I come.

31. Debbie October 11, 2012 at 11:12 am #

Look around – I’ve seen minis in several different colors. I’m also seeing several different flavors on the market. AND I own a dehydrator…

32. Anonymous November 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

OK-I’m up for the challange-so where’s the recipe???

33. ไฟซีนอน October 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

I’ve read several excellent stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how a lot attempt you place to create this
    kind of magnificent informative site.

34. 激安 ラルフローレン ダウン October 31, 2013 at 7:00 am #

I like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve included you guys to my own
    blogroll.

35. buy auto insurance online now February 14, 2014 at 8:34 pm #

Wonderfսl post but Ӏ was wondering if you could write a litte more on
    this topic? I’d ƅe νery thankful if you could elaborate a little
    Ьit further. Thanks!

1. Homemade Pocky Sticks | Cupcake Project - April 17, 2013

[...] cake immediately made me want to create cupcakes decorated with Pocky Sticks.  But after seeing my homemade Lucky Charms, you guys know that I can’t just take the easy route and go buy some Pocky Sticks.  I had to [...]

2. One Bowl Pine Nut Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting | Cupcake Project - April 17, 2013

[...] 28, 2013 in cupcakes, Featured I go crazy with elaborate projects sometimes (see my Homemade Lucky Charms for a prime example).  But, it’s always nice to have a few one bowl recipes on hand to [...]

3. Homemade Jelly Beans – You Pick the Flavor | Cupcake Project - April 17, 2013

[...] I conquered homemade Lucky Charms (a task that was so arduous I will never repeat it), I needed another challenge.  I set my sights [...]

4. Lucky Charms Cupcakes for St. Patrick’s Day | Cupcake Project - April 20, 2013

[...] glance at the photo will probably reveal that I made my Lucky Charms cupcakes with homemade Lucky Charms.  However, Lucky Charms cupcakes can just as easily be made with store-bought Lucky [...]

5. Stef from Cupcake Project's Sweet Crush | Best Friends For Frosting - August 9, 2013

[...] from BraveTart creates. She makes everything from scratch (her blog is where I learned how to make Homemade Lucky Charms). I even talked to my husband about taking a trip to Kentucky just to eat at Table 310, the [...]

6. 51 Tutorials for St. Patrick's Day Sweets - January 21, 2014

[...] Homemade Lucky Charms Marshmallows by Cupcake [...]

7. Ice Cream Cupcake Contest 2012: Drumstick Cupcakes - White Lights on Wednesday - August 27, 2014

[...] I adore Stefani’s blog.  It’s AMAZING!!!!  Stefani is the mastermind behind Cupcake Project - a fun experimental cupcake blog.  Stefani’s blog is full of cupcakes that are a great spin on a classic, some cupcakes the are completely out of the box, and a bunch of other really yummy recipes. [...]