Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers

Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers

Hibiscus Tea

Hibiscus tea has such a complex flavor that first time tasters will be surprised to discover that it is only dried hibiscus and sugar steeped in water.  Bearing no resemblance at all to lowly Lipton, Hibiscus tea more closely resembles a wine cooler.  The taste is familiar, but distinctly different: part citrus, part grape, possibly pomegranate, and a big dose of your garden when a soft breeze blows by.

Hibiscus Tea 01

How to Make Hibiscus Tea

I got the idea and instructions for making hibiscus tea from my Taste and Create partner this month, Liz at A Whisk and a Prayer.  I had been talking about edible hibiscus the day before I got assigned to be her partner, so as soon as I saw this tea, I knew that it was what I wanted to make (and, of course, a cupcake that features hibiscus).

Hibiscus Flowers Flor De Jamaica 8 Oz By El Sol De Mexico

To make hibiscus tea you will need hibiscus flowers.  You may be able to find them at a Mexican grocer.  After brewing the tea, you can use the flowers to make candied hibiscus flowers.  You can also use the flowers to dye frosting pink without food coloring.

View on Amazon.com

Hibiscus Tea 02
Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers

Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers

• 2 cups dried hibiscus flowers, rinsed
  • 8 cups water, divided
  • 3/4 cup sugar

1. In a large saucepan on high heat, bring hibiscus flowers, 4 cups of water, and sugar to a boil.
  2. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
  4. Using a colander, strain out the hibiscus flowers. Don't throw the flowers away! Save them to make candied hibiscus flowers.
  5. Add the remaining four cups of water.
  6. Stir and chill.
  7. Serve over ice.

19 comments on “Hibiscus Tea – Brewed at Home From Dried Hibiscus Flowers”

1. Paula says:

here is so many inspirations!

have a nice time!

2. This tea looks simply AMAZING!!! I would think it would be pretty healthy too…

3. Susan says:

Interesting and original. Thank you.

4. Mimi says:

It looks so refreshing.

5. This is one of my favorite drinks. If you’re ever in a Latin American restaurant, you will see it on the menu as Jamiaca (pronounced ha-mai-ka), FYI.

6. tagalong says:

Hibiscus tea is very popular in hot countries like Thailand because it cools the body. Thanks for the recipe

7. Jessica says:

Very interesting tea! I’m looking forward to your cupcake creation using this flavor. Perhaps you could make a sorbet as well? (greedy me!) lol

8. I just love your hibiscus photo… like a sculpture… really special, thanks!

9. Elizabeth says:

Yay! I’m so glad you liked the tea! I will be posting my side of things soon! Have a wonderful day!

10. Stef says:

Jess – Ooh. It would make a great sorbet. I do have some hibiscus left over. I may give it a try. No promises though.

11. Ruby says:

Hi – What a great post and a gorgeous shot of those dried flowers! I chose it as my Weekly WOW! – please head over and check it out. If you choose to, you can now display the Weekly WOW! winners’ badge. You’ll find it on my Blogga Bling page. Cheers!

12. Stef says:

Thanks, Ruby! My husband, Jonathan, takes all of the photos. He does amazing work!

13. Ruby says:

Well yes he does! I’ll amend the by-line to add him in. :-)

14. kikicraig says:

My mom actually has a hibiscus tree – do you know if I can just dry the flowers off of there, or is there something that needs to be done with them before using them to prepare tea/food with them?

15. Stef says:

Kiki – I am no expert on this, but from Wikipedia, it looks like it should be a certain variety of hibiscus. Here’s a link to the article.

16. Anonymous says:

I feel like I’m a little late on the pickup, but just in case someone else stumbles upon this awesome recipe…

One: though tantalizingly delicious, be careful drinking too much…let’s just say that it naturally has properties to help you have to run to the bathroom. Haha

Two: the addition of lime cinnamon and clove gives this unique drink an amazing twist. I put lime juice in to taste after it’s brewed, but steep 2-3 cloves and about tbsp of cinnamon or to taste. Also this tea is great hot or cold. C’est Parfait!

17. Dionne says:

I absolutely adore your web site. This article in particular is near & dear to my heart. The item you call “Hibiscus” is actually named Sorrel here in my Caribbean island of Trinidad. There is the red & even a white variety. It’s used to make jam & our National Christmas Sorrel drink for the holidays. Would love to see you come up with a cake and frosting recipe using it. Great job on all of your creations, they really are inspirational.

18. ADAM says:

so i’ve heard hibiscus is good for cardiovascular…..my question is how much is 2 cups of hibiscus? i’m more interested in brewing it by the cup…..lol.