Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

“It did a happy dance in my mouth!” said my mother-in-law after tasting my pomegranate mojito cupcakes. I couldn’t have said it better myself. But what kind of dance? I’d say a Lindy Hop. The sweetness of PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur combined with the tangy sourness of mint*, rum, and lime reminds me of a high energy couple bouncing around the dance floor, occasionally doing flips and throws to the thrill of the crowd (perhaps I have an overactive imagination).

Cooking With PAMA

I made these pomegranate mojito cupcakes as an entry into the Cooking with PAMA Contest. If I win When I win, I get to go to the Food and Wine Classic in Aspen! I wanted to wait until I had a cupcake that I really thought could win before entering – this pomegranate mojito cupcake is it!
Update: I didn’t win.  But, it was sure fun trying!

BTW – Isn’t the PAMA bottle gorgeous! Jonathan couldn’t resist taking its photo.

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcake Recipe

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

For the pomegranate mojito syrup
  • 1/2 C light rum
  • For the PAMA Frosting
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 T sour cream
  • 3 T freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 T PAMA
  • 2 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 pomegranate (optional)

For the cupcakes
  1. Bring all syrup ingredients to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer for fifteen minutes until you have about 1/2 cup of syrup.
  3. Strain mint leaves and set syrup aside.
  4. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, lime zest, and mint in a bowl.
  5. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
  6. Beat eggs, sour cream, and lime juice into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
  7. Alternately fold in flour mixture and syrup.
  8. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
  10. For the PAMA Frosting
  11. Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
  12. Spread on cupcakes.
  13. Optionally, garnish with pomegranate seeds.

*I know that I said I would never make a cupcake with mint, but mint is growing on me and I really should never say never.

17 comments on “Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes”

1. Lydia Story says:

Wow, my mouth is watering just reading about it! I love pomegranates and mint. I could probaly cancel lunch with my sister tomorrow so I can make these. :)
    Thank you!!

2. Karen says:

Beautiful cupcakes! I would love to try these one day. And you are right, that bottle is lovely.

3. Bryna says:

Those, sound delicious!

4. Anonymous says:

I wonder if these could be made with pomegranate juice instead of the liqueur???

5. Never thought of making pomegranate cupcakes. Sounds delicious!

6. Mmm these sound and look delish! I’m so happy it’s pomegranate season! I have two in my fridge right now! You can’t beat $1.50/ea!

7. Amanda says:

If I thought I could buy Pama anywhere near Smalltown, GA (a dry county), I would swap my weekend cupcake recipe for this one in a heartbeat. I’ve been dying to make a mojito cupcake, but adding Pama sounds amazing and too good to put off.

8. Alyssa says:

Oh gods, I am all over these cupcakes. Why, oh why, do I have to be making carrot cake for a birthday this weekend, when I could be making these? Mojitos and pomegranate, wow! And yes, the bottle is gorgeous, too.

9. Kiara says:

Okay, first of all…
    I LOVE An American Tail (so props for the video, haha)

I’m going to HAVE to make these… (but with Pom instead…I’m underage :P )

10. Mira says:

mmm..that looks yummmm!

11. Stef says:

Glad you guys liked these! Let me know if you try them!

Anon – If you couldn’t get the liqueur, I’m imagine that Pom would work just fine.

12. Anonymous says:

The PAMA bottle is indeed pretty, but it was too tall to fit on my bar shelves, so I gave it away.

13. claire says:

i linked to these cupcakes today! they look amazing!

14. Maky says:

I am not sure if I can buy Pama where I live (Amsterdam, the Netherlands), I am going to go out see if I can and if not if we have another pomegranate liqeuer that I can use instead. If I can’t though I am going to try to make and make it with pomegranate juice as a substitute. The whole recipe sounds fabulous though,I really am looking forward to trying these!

15. Josh says:

So looking forward to making these this weekend, I would rather stick to using PAMA over POM because I feel like the liquer would add moistness and a little umphhh. But can you buy PAMA most places??! Has anyone had trouble finding it?

16. Stef says:

Josh – I found it at my local supermarket. Hope you had luck!