Mango Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe: Light and Refreshing | Cupcake Project

Mango Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe: Light and Refreshing

I wanted a light and refreshing topping for my Indian cupcakes. Mango whipped cream frosting fit the bill. Mango whipped cream frosting would also be great on a pound cake or angel food cake or cheesecake or to dip crackers in or whatever you can dream up!

Buying Mangoes

Buy the correct kind of mango.
There was an Indian man in front of the mango section in my grocery store. He was spending a long time trying to decide which mango to purchase and clearly knew what he was doing. Not knowing much about mangoes, I asked him for help in picking a good one. He told me something that surprised me – none of the mangoes in that bin would work for me. I was looking at raw mangoes, which are unripe mangoes used for pickling. He directed me to the more common mangoes I would want to use for my whipped cream.
You probably won’t find raw mangoes in your standard U.S. grocery store. However, I happened to be shopping at an international supermarket because I needed other Indian ingredients that they don’t sell at most groceries. If you find yourself shopping somewhere with multiple mango varieties and you are not a mango maven, ask someone before buying the first mango you see.
Make sure the mango is ripe.
Before you use the mango, make sure it is ripe. Kate’s Global Kitchen tell us how to tell if a mango is ripe: “Smell it. It should have a fragrance and the skin should give slightly when pressed. Some books say a mango is ripe when it has a pink blush to it, but that depends on the variety.”

Mango Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe: Light and Refreshing

Mango Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe: Light and Refreshing

• 1 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 2/3 C mango (about one large mango)

1. Beat whipping cream on medium speed for about five minutes, until soft peaks form.
  2. Add sugar.
  3. Cut up your mango, being sure to remove all skin. Then, use a food processor or blender to turn your mango into a pulp.
  4. Add the mango to the whipped cream.
  5. Be sure to keep refrigerated.

7 Responses to Mango Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe: Light and Refreshing

1. Rachel May 19, 2008 at 2:36 am #

I love mango so much! Last year I went to the international mango festival and had mango at every meal (most of which were 5-6 courses with mango at every course) and tasted about 50 varieties of mango. I loved it!

2. CB May 19, 2008 at 5:22 am #

oohhhh mango! My hubs is gonna love you! Mangoes are his favorite fruit. I might have to start brainstorming on a mango cupcake now! ;)

3. dobetter May 19, 2008 at 8:05 am #

Thanks for posting this recipe! I love mango and think it would be great in a frosting!

4. diva May 19, 2008 at 9:08 am #

what a tempting whipped cream! might use it for a different take of the classic victoria sponge :)

5. Tanya May 19, 2008 at 10:10 am #

Where was this when I was searching high and low for a way to make mango frosting? I’m writing this one down! Thank you!

6. LittleIvyCakes May 19, 2008 at 11:24 am #

Dang girl! Every day, you have a new post, well, almost. Don’t tell you’re a stay-at-home cupcake baker, I would be extreemely jeleous and would have terminate our baker-blog-friend relationship.

7. Kevin May 19, 2008 at 12:24 pm #

Mango whipped cream frosting sounds really good!

8. Shari May 19, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

I love mango, and this recipe sounds so easy!
    Shari@Whisk: a food blog

9. K. May 19, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

Mmmm…this sounds wonderful! Mangos are growing in popularity (much to Kai’s dismay-she even got them on french fries once. Who checks to see if mango is on the fries??)

I see an angel food cake with mango frosting in our future…

10. Kai May 20, 2008 at 11:48 am #

I’m allergic to mangoes. I feel in love with them the first time I had them and promptly broke out in a rash for the next two weeks. :( As usual your ingredients sound wonderful, but I weep at the fact I can’t eat them.

*le sigh*

11. fifilacupcakes May 20, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

Hi Stefani!

Thanks for you comments on my page :)

We have really amazing mangos in Australia – according to many an overseas visitor – so this recipe could come in handy next time we have guests from far away lands!

Beautiful photography too!

12. Ran Mano May 20, 2008 at 6:35 pm #

These were some of my favorite Stef cupcakes in some time. Fantastic flavor and moisture levels. A perfect summer cupcake!

13. Stef May 21, 2008 at 5:00 am #

Rachel – OMG! That sounds amazing! I wanna go!

CB – Sounds like a good plan.

DoBetter – Thanks! It was.

Diva – Oooh – that would be great! Let me know if you try it!

Tanya – I was also surprised at how few mango frosting recipes there were out there. I decided to make one up. Luckily, it worked out really well.

LittleIvy – Nope, I’ve got a full time job too, but I do get to work from home and set my own hours. Can we still be friends?

Kevin – It sure is! Thanks!

Shari – Yeah – there’s not much to it, but it tastes great.

K. – Mango on fries? Was it in a salsa?

Kai – I’ll be sure to avoid mango in my cupcakes next time I see you.

Fiflacupcakes – Glad I could help. Thanks for your kind words. I may have to come to Australia and eat all the mangoes!

Ran – Thanks! I quoted you in the next post.

14. Mara May 23, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

omg! this looks just AMAZING. i have a good friend who loves mango, i will save this for her birthday cake!!

15. Britt May 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

This frosting is wonderful! I was looking high and low for a mango frosting recipe, and this is perfect! It’s a fabulous summer frosting- light and airy and fruity!

16. Stef May 8, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

Brit – I’m glad you enjoyed! I’m actually about to post a recipe for peach frosting which is very similar to this one.

17. Anna Carlson November 18, 2009 at 9:19 am #

Any chance you have a mango cake recipe? I added mangoes to a recipe I really liked but it was too heavy and the cupcakes sunk in the middle and were too dense. Any suggestions?

18. Stef November 19, 2009 at 3:34 am #

Anna – I actually don’t have a mango cupcake recipe that I really like. Sorry. I’ll try to remember to let you know if I make one.

19. pwiincess_apple January 15, 2010 at 7:29 am #

Hi. came across your blog when I was googling for mango frosting. looks really delicious. however need to check with you what is the “C” that is mentioned in your recipe? please advise(:

20. Stef January 15, 2010 at 7:52 am #

Apple – C is for Cups.

21. sowmya's creative saga July 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

made this frosting for my mango pound cake and it was excellent.

22. Dawn July 31, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Could you do this with a honeydew variation?

23. Stef August 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Dawn – I bet your could. Give it a try!

24. Anonymous November 28, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Hello,

I’m going to attempt to make this frosting on top of vanilla cupcakes for my 4-year old’s birthday this weekend. I need to make about 60 cupcakes for kids+grown ups. how many cupcakes does the portion in your recipe cover? I don’t think i saw the count.
    thanks and hope its a hit!

25. Anonymous January 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

i love your frosting…its so light..feels like summer already,even its pouring outside..thankssss…use it for my mango cake..

26. Anonymous May 20, 2012 at 9:04 am #

could i use mango extract instead of real mangoes?

• Stef May 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

It would be different, but it would work.