How to Make Fruit Powder and Why You Should Bother | Cupcake Project

How to Make Fruit Powder and Why You Should Bother

Strawberry Rhubarb Powder

Let’s start with the fruit powder basics and then we’ll move on to how to make fruit powder.

What is fruit powder?

Fruit powder is dried fruit that’s been finely ground.

How to use fruit powder

Fruit powder can be used in place of artificial flavoring to flavor just about anything.  However, fruit powder truly shines in desserts where the moisture balance is very important.  Here are some examples of how to use fruit powder:

• Use fruit powder to transform basic buttercream into any fruit flavor without dumping fruit into your perfectly-pipeable frosting.  Using fresh fruit can make buttercream too runny to hold a sweet swirl.
  • Sprinkle on top of fruit-flavored chocolate truffles to add some color and hint at the flavor inside.
  • Make fruity meringue cookies or macarons (I’ll be posting about this specific example soon).
  • Make a fruity spice rub for meat.
  • Throw some in your morning oatmeal when you don’t have fresh fruit on hand.

How to make fruit powder

Dehydrator

Although you can buy fruit powder online, it’s easy to make fruit powder at home to preserve whatever fruit is in season.

Dried Strawberries

You can make fruit powder from store-bought dried fruit (make sure to choose fruit that has no moisture left), but if you can get your hands on ripe, inexpensive fresh fruit, you can dehydrate it yourself and use it to make fruit powder.  I do so using an Excalibur dehydrator.  You could also dehydrate fruit by thinly slicing it, placing it on cookie sheets, and leaving it in the oven on the lowest setting overnight.

Dried Rhubarb

The recipe below can be used with any dried fruit.  However, I also share the specific proportions for the fruit powder shown above.  If you haven’t guessed yet from the photos, I made strawberry rhubarb powder!  I chose to make strawberry rhubarb powder because it’s a flavor combination that is sadly relegated to pie and I wanted to experiment with using it in some fun new ways.  I can’t wait to share the results!

How to Make Fruit Powder

How to Make Fruit Powder

• Any dehydrated fruit that has not been sweetened (be sure that the fruit is fully dehydrated with little to no moisture remaining)

1. Freeze the dehydrated fruit overnight.
  2. Blend the frozen fruit until it turns into a powder. (It helps if you have a blender with some kick. I heart my Vitamix for tasks like this.

Notes

For reference, two pounds of fresh strawberries and one pound of sliced/frozen rhubarb yield 1 1/4 cups of fruit powder after being dried and blended.

The powder may end up slightly clumpy. Be sure to sift before using in recipes that require a fine texture.

25 Responses to How to Make Fruit Powder and Why You Should Bother

1. Kasha the FarmGirl April 18, 2013 at 7:53 am #

I made a terrific strawberry angel food cake for Valentine’s Day. I used freeze-dried fruit from the supermarket (another purchase that I made without intent), but I love the idea of using in-season fruit and dehydrating it. Stirring it into buttercream sounds perfect!

2. Becky April 18, 2013 at 9:13 am #

Where did you get the handy mats/screens you used for drying in the oven?

• Stef April 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

The mats in that photo are from my dehydrator. But you can buy them separately on Amazon.

• Rick June 13, 2013 at 5:12 pm #

Hello…could you tell me how fruit powders might stand up in baked goods? Like turning a small plain muffin/cake into a flavoured cake?

• Stef June 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

It would work really well! You’d have to experiment with how much to use. But, I think it would be very successful.

3. TJ Lubrano April 18, 2013 at 9:49 am #

This makes me SO excited! I can’t wait to try this in my buttercreams and well lots of other recipes. :D Thank you! Xx

4. Arkay April 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm #

I have been making powdered lemon peel for ages now (and then I freeze the juice in ice cube trays) and it is a great way to use zest in all sorts of dishes-I love to sprinkle it on top of chickens roasting in the oven, and I add it to breadcrumbs when cooking chicken tenderloin.
    I’m looking forward to trying rhubarb powder.

5. Auntie Em April 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Brilliant! What a great way to use a bumper crop of homegrown rhubarb, besides freezing it!

6. Carly April 18, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

How much powder would u use if substituting for an essence? This is where I go wrong. For 2 tsp essence how many of powder?

• Stef April 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Hmm good question. I’d just taste as I went along as see what worked best. I imagine that it would be different for different fruits.

7. Cheyenne April 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

The first thing I think when I see these awesome fruit powders is “WOW, that would be amazing in soap, in clay facials, etc…” (No points for guessing what I do, LOL)

But then I saw the buttercream idea… heavenly! :-)

8. Monica @ TheYummyLife April 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

What a fabulous idea, Stef! I’m thinking this would be great stirred into iced tea for adding natural sweetness and flavor. Pinned it! Thanks. :-)

9. tracy {pale yellow} April 18, 2013 at 6:45 pm #

What a great idea and it seems so simple. Thanks for sharing!

10. crystal April 22, 2013 at 12:54 am #

have you tried making pumpkin powder?

11. Laura April 27, 2013 at 9:20 am #

How long does this last? Can it be made in big batches in the summer when fruit is in season and cheap and then used all winter if it stored in an air tight container?

12. TokiT July 7, 2013 at 4:01 am #

Hi, great ideas with the buttercream!
    just wondering what sorts of fruits work for dehydrating? Any?

13. home theater pc forum October 19, 2013 at 3:05 am #

I don’t know whether it’s juust me or if perhaps everybody else encountering problems with ypur website.
    It apppears aas if some oof the writyten text on your posts
    are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback
    and let me know if his is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my browser because
    I’ve had this happen before. Appreciate it

14. Ryan December 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

I just did this then found your post! I’m also wondering if you could use this in a homemade face scrub or mask? I did oranges and it smells amazing would love to use it in more ways!

15. Florencia June 21, 2014 at 2:33 am #

Hi! is this resulting powder water soluble?

• Stef June 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

No. It doesn’t work well in a drink. Tried it.

16. stephanie July 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm #

Hi. I love you.

1. The Internet Kitchen: Not Sinking Edition - Macheesmo - April 19, 2013

[...] How to Make Fruit Powder – Honestly, I’ve never even used fruit powder to my knowledge but it looks beautiful and I can see how it could add some serious flavor to a wide range of dishes. (@ Cupcake Project) [...]

2. Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue Cookies | Cupcake Project - April 22, 2013

[...] my fluffy meringue batter.  Instead, I mixed in sifted strawberry rhubarb powder (read my post on how to make fruit powder for details).  The end result was an intensely fruity meringue.  [...]

3. How to Make Pixy Stix (Pixie Sticks) | Cupcake Project - April 23, 2013

[...] you’ve made fruit powder (get the recipe in my post on fruit powder), the next logical step is learning how to make pixy stix (a.k.a. pixie sticks).  Homemade pixy [...]

4. Strawberry and rhubarb Muffin | much ado about muffin - August 12, 2013

[...] read about making fruit powder on The Cupcake Project and thought it sounded like a great idea. All the flavour and vibrant colour of rhubarb without the [...]