How to Make Fruit Powder and Why You Should Bother

Share:

Strawberry Rhubarb Powder

Let’s start with the fruit powder basics and then we’ll move on to how to make fruit powder.

What is fruit powder?

Fruit powder is dried fruit that’s been finely ground.

How to use fruit powder

Fruit powder can be used in place of artificial flavoring to flavor just about anything.  However, fruit powder truly shines in desserts where the moisture balance is very important.  Here are some examples of how to use fruit powder:

• Use fruit powder to transform basic buttercream into any fruit flavor without dumping fruit into your perfectly-pipeable frosting.  Using fresh fruit can make buttercream too runny to hold a sweet swirl.
  • Sprinkle on top of fruit-flavored chocolate truffles to add some color and hint at the flavor inside.
  • Make fruity meringue cookies or macarons (I’ll be posting about this specific example soon).
  • Make a fruity spice rub for meat.
  • Throw some in your morning oatmeal when you don’t have fresh fruit on hand.

How to make fruit powder

Dehydrator

Although you can buy fruit powder online, it’s easy to make fruit powder at home to preserve whatever fruit is in season.

Dried Strawberries

You can make fruit powder from store-bought dried fruit (make sure to choose fruit that has no moisture left), but if you can get your hands on ripe, inexpensive fresh fruit, you can dehydrate it yourself and use it to make fruit powder.  I do so using an Excalibur dehydrator.  You could also dehydrate fruit by thinly slicing it, placing it on cookie sheets, and leaving it in the oven on the lowest setting overnight.

Dried Rhubarb

The recipe below can be used with any dried fruit.  However, I also share the specific proportions for the fruit powder shown above.  If you haven’t guessed yet from the photos, I made strawberry rhubarb powder!  I chose to make strawberry rhubarb powder because it’s a flavor combination that is sadly relegated to pie and I wanted to experiment with using it in some fun new ways.  I can’t wait to share the results!

How to Make Fruit Powder

How to Make Fruit Powder

• Any dehydrated fruit that has not been sweetened (be sure that the fruit is fully dehydrated with little to no moisture remaining)

1. Freeze the dehydrated fruit overnight.
  2. Blend the frozen fruit until it turns into a powder. (It helps if you have a blender with some kick. I heart my Vitamix for tasks like this.

Notes

For reference, two pounds of fresh strawberries and one pound of sliced/frozen rhubarb yield 1 1/4 cups of fruit powder after being dried and blended.

The powder may end up slightly clumpy. Be sure to sift before using in recipes that require a fine texture.

34 comments on “How to Make Fruit Powder and Why You Should Bother”

1. I made a terrific strawberry angel food cake for Valentine’s Day. I used freeze-dried fruit from the supermarket (another purchase that I made without intent), but I love the idea of using in-season fruit and dehydrating it. Stirring it into buttercream sounds perfect!

2. Becky says:

Where did you get the handy mats/screens you used for drying in the oven?

3. TJ Lubrano says:

This makes me SO excited! I can’t wait to try this in my buttercreams and well lots of other recipes. 😀 Thank you! Xx

4. Arkay says:

I have been making powdered lemon peel for ages now (and then I freeze the juice in ice cube trays) and it is a great way to use zest in all sorts of dishes-I love to sprinkle it on top of chickens roasting in the oven, and I add it to breadcrumbs when cooking chicken tenderloin.
    I’m looking forward to trying rhubarb powder.

5. Auntie Em says:

Brilliant! What a great way to use a bumper crop of homegrown rhubarb, besides freezing it!

6. Carly says:

How much powder would u use if substituting for an essence? This is where I go wrong. For 2 tsp essence how many of powder?

• Stef says:

Hmm good question. I’d just taste as I went along as see what worked best. I imagine that it would be different for different fruits.

7. Cheyenne says:

The first thing I think when I see these awesome fruit powders is “WOW, that would be amazing in soap, in clay facials, etc…” (No points for guessing what I do, LOL)

But then I saw the buttercream idea… heavenly! :-)

8. What a fabulous idea, Stef! I’m thinking this would be great stirred into iced tea for adding natural sweetness and flavor. Pinned it! Thanks. :-)

9. What a great idea and it seems so simple. Thanks for sharing!

10. crystal says:

have you tried making pumpkin powder?

11. Laura says:

How long does this last? Can it be made in big batches in the summer when fruit is in season and cheap and then used all winter if it stored in an air tight container?

12. TokiT says:

Hi, great ideas with the buttercream!
    just wondering what sorts of fruits work for dehydrating? Any?

13. Ryan says:

I just did this then found your post! I’m also wondering if you could use this in a homemade face scrub or mask? I did oranges and it smells amazing would love to use it in more ways!

14. Florencia says:

Hi! is this resulting powder water soluble?

15. stephanie says:

Hi. I love you.

16. Melinda says:

Hello. I am getting a bird that has a large amount of nectar in its diet. You can’t turn this powder back to juice by adding water can you?

Thank you.

17. Natalie says:

Hi, just wondering if you know whether the fruit powder would sit well as a dusting powder on top of a butter cream icing, or whether it would dissolve and go yucky? I want to use it with a stencil to dust an image on a birthday cake… Thanks, great post :)

18. c. says:

Hi,Can this fruit powder dissolve in water like kool-aid and tang?

19. Ann says:

Live this.I have been using fruit powder along with beet powder not only for taste , but also to color frosting in my cupcakes or cakes. Looks great.

20. Holly says:

If you want to save time, you can buy powdered fruit as well. All the nutritional value is still intact, and it’ll last for years. Easy to use in smoothies, cakes, frosting, like you said, oatmeal, etc. Activz is a good one. They currently have mixed berry, mango, and raspberry. https://activz.com/fruit-powders/

21. riza says:

its a nice idea, can i make another powder out of pineapple fruit?