Calzone Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Calzone Cupcakes

Calzone Cupcakes

Take pizza dough, fill it with your favorite pizza toppings, bake it a cupcake tin, and “frost” it with tomato sauce, melted cheese, and a cherry (tomato) and you’ve got a calzone cupcake!

Have a peek inside:

And now, the details.

How to Make Calzone Cupcakes

Calzone Cupcakes

Yield: 12 calzone cupcakes
1. Prepare your favorite pizza dough

For the pizza dough, I used a bread machinepizza dough recipe from this month’s Taste and Create* partner, Dragon Musings.  Here is the recipe that I used:

• 3/4 C water
  • 1 tbsp garlic olive oil (I used regular extra virgin olive oil.)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 C flour
  • 1 3/4 tsp yeast
  1.  Put all ingredients in a bread machine on the dough cycle according to the instructions for your model.

2. Prepare your favorite calzone filling.

Like the pizza dough, I used a calzone filling recipe from my Taste and Create partner. The filling had zucchini, corn, onions, and lime.  I’d never had corn in a calzone before and was somewhat skeptical, but Dragon Musings did not let me down!  The combination was tangy and fresh with a mild kick.  It’s one that I’d likely make again and gladly serve to company.  Here’s the recipe with some very minor changes:

• 1/2 large zucchini, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • juice of 1 lime
  1.  Mix everything together.  (Jonathan says that it’s silly to have only one step.  But, I love ending lists at one.  It makes things seem easy.)

3.   Prepare the calzone cupcakes.

• Pizza dough (from above)
  • Filling (from above)
  • 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 C crumbled feta cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
  2. Roll out the pizza dough about 1/4″ thick and line the bottom and sides of the indentations in a cupcake tin.
  3. Put a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each piece of dough.
  4. Fill the cupcake with the filling.
  5. Top with another thin layer of mozzarella cheese and some crumbled feta.
  6. Top each cupcake with another piece of pizza dough and press firmly around the edges of the cupcake to seal it (as shown below).  If necessary, use a butter knife to cut off any excess dough.
  7.  Bake for 14 minutes.  Don’t turn off your oven yet.  You’ll need it for the next step.

4. “Frost” the calzone cupcakes.

• Hot unfrosted calzone cupcakes (from above).
  • 1 C pasta or pizza sauce
  • 12 slices of mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
  • 12 cherry tomatoes
  1. Transfer the hot calzone cupcakes to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  2. Spoon a small amount of sauce on top of each cupcake.
  3. Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut the mozzarella into circles that cover the top of the cupcake (as shown below) and place the cheese on top of the sauce.
  4. If desired, top the cheese circles with a small amount of the shredded cheese.  This makes the top of the cupcake look a bit bumpier – like it has sprinkles.
  5. Put the cookie sheet of cupcakes back into the oven for one minute or until the cheese is just melted.
  6. Remove from the oven, top with cherry tomatoes, and serve warm.

*A Note On Taste and Create

Taste and Create is the monthly event where food bloggers are paired up to make each other’s recipes.  Any food blogger can join the fun and I highly encourage you to do so.  It’s a fantastic opportunity to explore new food blogs.

Dragon Musings and I were partners once before and I was excited to be her partner again! Last time, I made her peaches n’ cream.  It ended up going into my peaches n’ cream cupcakes which were picked for Wedding 3.0!  If you like my calzone cupcakes, you should definitely check out what shape she made her calzones in (hint: they are so good that they will quickly be extinct).

25 Responses to Calzone Cupcakes

1. roxan June 21, 2010 at 8:07 pm #

This is such a cute idea!!! Thanks for the post, I’ll definitely be making these for the next potluck.

2. The Wine-y Tomato June 21, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

oh, these are adorable!

3. Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm #

That’s brilliant! I love this idea. Definitely going to try it next time I have or make pizza dough. YUMMY :)

Jenn

4. One Blonde Girl June 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Yum! And super cute too!

5. Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures June 21, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

I love this idea! It’s adorable and would be great for a party.

6. Lovely Lacey June 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm #

Such a good idea. Would be great little party food.

7. Michele June 22, 2010 at 5:38 am #

What a great idea!

8. Ivy June 22, 2010 at 6:25 am #

You are hilarious! and innovative-that’s a given.

9. Edana June 22, 2010 at 9:50 am #

Wow, you really CAN turn anything into a cupcake. These are so cute! I love roxan’s potluck idea, or I could use them as an appetizer at a dinner party. So cool! (I’m also in love with taste&create, working on mine right now!)

10. Eliana June 22, 2010 at 11:28 am #

Now this is the most creative use of a cupcake pan I have ever seen. Rock on girlfriend!

11. Joy June 22, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

That is a cool idea. I have to try this at home. My daughter would love it.

12. SilverMoon Dragon June 22, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

And my friends think *I’m* weird!
    The stegosauruses made quite a stir on my facebook – most of my friends thought they were cute, but they also thought I was the aforementioned crazy, with too much time on my hands. At least now I have a rebuttal post to link them to!

That Funky Lime Pizza ‘filling’ recipe has been doing the rounds for quite a while now, and I’m really glad it caught my eye one Menu Plan Monday, way back when!

Fun ‘working’ with you again!

13. K. June 23, 2010 at 10:39 am #

Those sound like calzone’s I might actually like! Typically they are far too “doughy” for my taste.

Wonder how long until my fabulous chef makes them for me… :)

14. Marisa June 23, 2010 at 11:54 pm #

Such a novel idea! And cute too!

15. shannon June 26, 2010 at 12:37 am #

you took the cupcake to a brand new level!! great job.

16. Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 28, 2010 at 11:44 am #

i’m in love with this creation! how fantastic!

17. Anonymous June 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

my mom works alot so its my job to make dinner and since i have karate at late hours i love quick yummy recipies to make for me and my brother

18. Heather July 15, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Brilliant.

19. Matthew Kadey MSc., RD July 16, 2010 at 3:44 am #

Wow, great minds think alike :) I just made a muffin tin calzone with tomato meat sauce:

I’m going to have to try these out as well as I have some leftover dough.

20. Libby August 18, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Thanks for a great lunchbox idea!

21. Dietrol October 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

what i do is make a triangle and then fold a conrer over and seal in the filling.I have try to make this many times at my home.

22. seo January 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Howdy are using WordPress for your blog platform? I’m
    new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
    Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

1. Calzone Cupcakes « The Cupcake Blog - August 4, 2013

[...] Calzone cupcakes are proof positive that cupcakes are not just for dessert anymore. These cute cupcake looking creations are actually little calzones or pocket pizzas that are baked in cupcake tins and take on the shape of the dessert but the taste of the yummy Italian entrée. Encased in pizza dough, fillings are limited only by one’s imagination. Veggie, meat lovers, or cheese calzones are then “frosted” with pizza sauce and topped with a cherry tomato for the perfect on the go meal. Source Cupcake Project [...]

2. Calzone Cupcakes — Cupcake Pictures - August 4, 2013