Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream | Cupcake Project

Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

The expression “Don’t judge a book by its cover” should never apply to cupcakes. While these mudslide cupcakes are tasty, their cover (a sweet Baileys Irish Cream whipped cream) is the exceptional part. In fact, several tasters said that they would have been happy to eat a big bowl of the whipped cream sans cupcake.

You’ll see in the video at the bottom of this post (if you are the video watching type) that Bride and Groom 3.0 found the mudslide cupcakes to be a bit dry. I say that if you have the cupcakes with a big bite of the Baileys whipped cream and perhaps a sip of coffee with some more of the whipped cream on top, you’ve got yourself a moist and memorable morning treat.

Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream Recipe

The Baileys Irish Cream whipped cream frosting is such an important part of this cupcake that I am putting the frosting recipe first!

Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

1. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  2. Mix in sugar and Baileys Irish Cream until just combined.

Notes

You may find yourself wanting to double the recipe if you like gobs of frosting. I'd suggest stocking up on some extra heavy whipping cream.

Mudslide Cupcake Recipe

Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

• 2/3 C sugar
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3 T ground coffee (your favorite kind)
  • 3/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C melted vanilla ice cream (you could also make this with coffee or mocha ice cream)
  • 1/4 C homemade Kahlua (store-bought would work just fine)
  • 1/4 C homemade Baileys Irish Cream (store-bought would work just fine)
  • A little bit of chocolate for shaving on top (optional)
  • 12 chocolate-covered espresso beans (optional)

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and coffee in a bowl.
  2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat eggs, ice cream, Kahlua, and Baileys into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
  4. Fold in flour mixture.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  6. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
  7. Top with Baileys Irish Cream whipped cream (see above), shaved chocolate, and a chocolate covered espresso bean.

Bride and Groom 3.0 Mudslide Cupcake Video Review

This video not only contains the mudslide cupcake review but also some marital advice involving bodily functions. I think it may be the first time the f-word has been used on this site (the one that rhymes with heart – did you think I meant the one that rhymes with luck?).

Happy 2010!

I want to take a moment at the end of this long post to wish all of my readers a Happy 2010! Did you make resolutions? I’m not big on resolutions, but I’ve made one that requires no effort on my part:
If I win Birdie’s Resolution Contest, I will get a cute new blog design in 2010. Wish me luck! If you’d like, you can enter, too, on Gisele Jaquenod and Birdie.

Footnote: Thanks again to Sugar Cat Studiofor the sensational cupcake wrappers!

29 Responses to Mudslide Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Whipped Cream

1. Naomi January 3, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

please bring me a cupcake :) . It’s part of your matron of honor duty.

2. Mr. P January 4, 2010 at 3:59 am #

They sound amazing, and I love the wrappers.

I never really think I like cream, especially when it’s whipped, but I can just imagine how the Baileys takes the edge off…

3. Nancy January 4, 2010 at 6:59 am #

I loved the coffee flavor and thought it could have been even stronger. I’m also one of those people who requested vats of the BIC Whipped Cream…Could I eat it on a train, could I eat it all just plain? Could I eat it with a spoon, would it leave me in a swoon? Oh lucky me, oh happy me; I live near where the cupcakes be!

4. whitewitch January 4, 2010 at 7:21 am #

With a cupcake as delectable as that, I do not think I would be the least bit bothered if it were really “a bit dry.” Judging from the looks of it and your description of the cream topping, I would be lost in the taste of the cream alone that I would hardly pay attention to other less significant details like the moistness of the cupcake itself.

5. Eliana January 4, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

These look and sound divine. Happy New Year to you and your beautiful family.

6. Absentminded Oracle January 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

I am going to make these cupcakes this weekend. :) thank you so much

7. Keesha aka Prissycook January 4, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

I’ve ordered from Sugar Cat before. She was so nice and rushed an order for me.

8. Ivy January 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

This is one super classy cupcake! :)

9. Gigi January 4, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

oh the cupcake liners are to die for! super cute. the cupcakes look divine.

10. cedar chests January 5, 2010 at 9:38 pm #

Happy New Year! I love your cupcakes and that colorful cupcake dress! I’ sorry about that. That is what I call them.

11. How To Eat A Cupcake January 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

So funny to hear that another woman hates the word “moist”. I went to highschool with a girl who HATED that word! Lol

12. Corrine February 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Baked these on the weekend and got rave reviews. Thanks SO much for all the fantastic ideas! A quick question for anyone who might have time: how do you make whipped cream that you can pipe and hold it’s shape like that? Mine wound up melting into a giant blob as soon as it was on. It still tasted awesome but I’d love mine to look as nice as the pictures. Thanks!

13. Stef February 26, 2010 at 4:00 pm #

Corrine – The problems you are having may have to do with the temperature and humidity in your house. Do you store them in your refrigerator?

14. Anonymous April 9, 2010 at 5:40 pm #

These sound delicious! Do you use regular sugar for the frosting or confectioner’s?

15. Stef April 9, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

Regular sugar.

16. Dani November 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

Where do you get the cute wrappers?

17. Stef November 3, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

Dani – These wrappers were from Sugar Cat Studio .

18. dereck November 25, 2010 at 11:48 am #

Everything looks beautiful, but very difficult to prepare…especially for lazy))

19. Anonymous February 15, 2011 at 8:43 am #

A friend of mine emailed me this recipe and I made this last weekend. They turned out amazing! I took them to where my daughter works and the girls were fighting over them. I will make these again!

20. Anonymous July 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

So delicious! I used Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream, and 1/4 c less flour and they were super moist and fabulous!

21. Mama Ali July 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Would using 3 T of strong brewed coffee instead of the ground coffee help with the moisture? I can’t wait to try these. My husband will be stoked!

22. Kristin October 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

Just wanted to say I tried your Bailey’s Irish cream whipped cream and it was the amazing! I used it to top off a guinness cupcake with jameson ganache. So far I have loved all your frostings I’ve tried.

23. scegan December 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

can you use vanilla bean instead of vanilla extract?

24. Lindsy Baker January 17, 2013 at 1:49 am #

wow, thank you SOO so mucho for this and the diy baileys cream recipe. after a wonderful date night, i had a sudden baking moment and a little past 11pm, headed down to my store to pick up the spare items. wow. i couldnt wait for either to be done, so i made a makeshift baileys cream drink. leftover espresso(took user aboves advice, mainly to incorporate cocoa powder cause i dont use syrups) and a bit of melted ice cream. and some other ingrediants. albeit nothing like the coffee with the finished product, not bad. and im sitting here…counting down the seconds until the muffins and heart cake are done. yours look beautiful, and i must admit, ive been staring at them for a good ten minutes.

25. Rigel February 11, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

Hey! Quick question with this recipe what are the exact measurements. Does t means teaspoon and does big T mean tablespoon? Thanks :)

• Stef February 12, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Yes t is teaspoon and T is tablespoon.

26. barbara March 28, 2014 at 9:02 am #

I want to try these so bad….but 1 question…ground coffee???? Is that instant ground or not instant ???

1. Mudslide Cupcakes | Icing on a Cupcake - May 30, 2013

[...] was a big hit! This recipe is definitely a [...]

2. Chocolate Pudding Pie and Baileys Whipped Cream | Baking Bytes - March 17, 2014

[...] from The Cupcake Project Makes about 6 [...]