Magic Bullet vs Ordinary Blender: How to Make Nut Butter | Cupcake Project

Magic Bullet vs Ordinary Blender: How to Make Nut Butter

Do You Need a Magic Bullet To Make Nut Butters?

I wanted to make some macadamia nut butter for my Vere inspired banana, chocolate, and macadamia nut baby shower cupcakes. Several people told me that the best way to do it was to use a Magic Bullet. Luckily, Groom 2.0 owned a Magic Bullet, so I borrowed it and gave it a go.

What Are You Talking About? What is a Magic Bullet?

Contrary to what the name sounds like, the Magic Bullet is not a vibrator. It is a super intense mini blender/chopper that is featured on late night infomercials. They tell you that it is great for grinding coffee or even making nut butters.

The Magic Bullet Put to the Test

I loaded up 8oz of macadamia nuts into the larger cup of the Magic Bullet. I’d been warned by Groom 2.0 that he had already broken one by blending for too long. “Use short pulses,” he said. Clearly, he understands the importance of foreplay. Don’t go too strong too fast.

Groom 2.0 also had suggested that I might end up having to use the smaller cup because nuts would get stuck on the side of the big cup and not blend.

I pulsed maybe 10 times or so. Each time, I felt like I was playing a game of Trouble (the one where the dice are in the plastic sphere that you press to make them roll). The Magic Bullet has no on/off switch – you just press the bullet to make it go. Awww, yeah.

The nuts did, in fact, get stuck to the sides. There are no problems with nuts when using a vibrator.

I moved some of the nuts to the smaller cup and pulsed some more. I had to keep pulsing and then shaking the nuts off the sides.

And then…

After 10 minutes or so, I did have a smooth nut butter! This was quite the exciting climax!

Enter the Ordinary Blender

Jonathan came into the kitchen to watch the Magic Bullet fun. What guy wouldn’t want to watch? He asked an important question, “Why not make the nut butter in an ordinary blender?”

We loaded the blender up with 8oz of macadamia nuts and used the same pulsing technique. It had the same problems of nut butter getting stuck to the sides and we had to keep sticking a spatula down in the blender to push the nuts to the middle. After 10 minutes, we had smooth, creamy macadamia nut butter.

If your blender is wimpy and can’t even crush ice, I wouldn’t recommend using it for nut butters. I would, however, recommend getting a new blender over getting a Magic Bullet. Due to its size, your blender will likely be much more useful to you than the Magic Bullet. Size does matter.

Nut Butter Lessons Learned

1. If the nut butter you’re looking for is available fresh at the store, I’d recommend buying it rather than making it. All of that poking and prodding in the blender was a bit of a pain.

2. Making your own nut butter is definitely doable and there is no need for any special product like the Magic Bullet.

3. If you like smooth nut butters, keep going even when you think that you’re done blending. When I made my macadamia nut butter frosting, I discovered some small nut bits that hadn’t gotten blended. These clogged up my piping tip and were an overall nuisance.

Got your own tips for making good nut butter or disagree with my stance on the Magic Bullet? Let me know in the comments.

Do forgive the dirty talk – I couldn’t write about nut butter and the Magic Bullet without going there.

41 Responses to Magic Bullet vs Ordinary Blender: How to Make Nut Butter

1. Raquita May 7, 2008 at 5:38 pm #

THis is offically my favorite food blog entry ever…
    seriously
    ever..
    we have to get together one day.

2. Minko May 7, 2008 at 7:51 pm #

I have a magic bullet and I use it for EVERYTHING. It is a blender/food processor in one. It has been used to process one cupcake ingredient or another.

And the fact that they are small is a big plus for me. Bigger is not always better.

3. K. May 7, 2008 at 9:28 pm #

I LOVE my Magic Bullet. It’s great for making smoothies and omelette’s. I’ll admit though, I haven’t gotten much beyond that. I love that it’s easy to clean and makes extremely minimal mess.

If I ever get un-pregnant I plan on making some nice margaritas!

4. Shari May 8, 2008 at 1:29 am #

If you want to be sure the nut butter is really smooth, you can push it through a sieve to make sure any larger bits are weeded out. Of course, this only matters in something like the frosting you mentioned.

5. Celine May 8, 2008 at 1:50 am #

I had a Magic Bullet but ended up having to throw it away when it started acting funky. now I feel even more guilty for doing so since I haven’t been able to get the proper consistency for my nut butters when using the food processor! bah.
    although…has anyone ever used their coffee grinder for nut butters? it works like a charm for me.

6. Andrea May 8, 2008 at 5:57 am #

Yay, a new blog for me to play in!

Love my Magic Bullet. It’s perfect for cooking for one person, even if the juicer doesn’t work as well as advertised. However, the one time I tried making peanut butter it didn’t work out so well. I couldn’t get it smooth enough. Perhaps another type of nut would work better, or maybe I wasn’t patient enough.

@K.- That “un-pregnant” comment was one of the funniest things I’ve read today. I believe that margaritas are in your future. The child won’t say in there forever!

7. Melissa May 8, 2008 at 6:48 am #

I’m dying for a Magic Bullet now! Hmm…I wonder if it means I’m food deprived??

LOVE your entries and this one BY FAR is the best I’ve read!

I was laughing out loud at this post (which is so bad because I’m reading it at work), so thank you for making my day and getting me looked at like a crazy woman here at work! :)

8. CB May 8, 2008 at 6:50 am #

Nut butter and magic bullet? how could anyone not go there!? haha. I LMAO the whole time. If you aint got a sense of humor you aint living life. Rock on with your nut pulsing. ;)

9. Joy May 8, 2008 at 8:28 am #

This post almost made me snort out my coffee. Hahaha. Anyway, we have a magic bullet, too, but I haven’t tried making any nut butter with it. I’ll have to give it a try!

10. giz May 8, 2008 at 8:39 am #

I’ve had a magic bullet forever and found that it was so many parts that it just didn’t feel worth it to drag the stuff out. I’m so with you on just buying butters at a local bulk place.

11. iheartmies May 8, 2008 at 8:48 am #

i too have a magic bullet
    given as a gift
    and often joked about with regard to the name
    it makes great nut butters, pesto, ground coffee, and milkshakes.
    easy to clean
    and small(which i like)

12. Stef May 8, 2008 at 11:59 am #

Raquita – Aww… thanks so much!

Minko – I have a mini food processor that I use for that sort of thing. It’s true that small can be good too.

K. – Don’t you have a smoothie maker? Is the magic bullet better than that for drinks?

Shari – Thanks. I totally should have done that!

Celine – Interesting. Wish I had thought of that. That would have been quite helpful.

Andrea – Glad you found the blog! Looks like lots of people like their magic bullets. Maybe I should give them another shot.

Melissa – Hah! Always glad to make someone laugh! Thanks so much for letting me know!

CB – So glad you enjoyed! Fun to see you on twitter these days!

Joy – I had no idea how many people own a magic bullet. Making nut butter is fun to do, but like I said, it takes a bit of work to get it right.

Giz – Yeah, I like getting nut butter at whole foods where I can grind it myself at the store. They just didn’t sell macadamia nut so I was forced to make it myself.

IHeart – Glad I wasn’t the only one to think that about that name :)

13. K. May 8, 2008 at 1:35 pm #

I do have a smoothie maker, and it works great for parties or larger quantities. If I just want to make a single serving – like a breakfast smoothie – the Magic Bullet is totally the way to go.

Plus the whole one dish/easy clean up thing appeals (esp married to a man who can’t make a PB&J sandwich without using every pan in the house) :)

14. Naomi May 8, 2008 at 3:01 pm #

What did you read, watch, or do before you wrote this :P ?

I am assuming you’re referring to the blender I donated to you. Yes, it’s awesome, take that, Magic Bullet!

Btw, this is my favorite post yet.

15. Jenn May 8, 2008 at 5:26 pm #

I make my nut butters in my full size food processor to Alton Brown’s instructions, and not only is it easy, but it makes perfectly smooth butters. Cashew is my favorite.

16. ben May 8, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

It’s a little known fact that a lot of blender blades will screw on to a standard mason/canning jar – or at least the old one I have does. It’s like miraculously turning your full sized blender into a magic bullet for making small batches!

17. Gil May 8, 2008 at 11:49 pm #

Cooking tip: If you squeeze and massage the nuts more while working away with the Magic Bullet, be careful to keep the top on the blender — you don’t want to get sprayed all over your face with creamy nut butter.

18. Nancy May 9, 2008 at 5:33 am #

OK, you’ve made your m-i-l both laugh hysterically and blush simultaneously. Funniest entry ever.

19. The Kitchen Vixen May 9, 2008 at 10:15 am #

ha! truely a girl after my own heart;) who knew nut butter was so sexy! You inspired me to go home tonight and make my own nut butter;)

20. Kimberly May 9, 2008 at 10:29 am #

Stef, Stef, Stef … I knew there was a reason I loved you so much (besides the fact that you are an AWESOME friend)!

This was a hilarious post! Loved it!

Oh yeah … Gil … you need to get your tush back to St. Louis for a visit! Maybe we can all make a big batch of nut butter toghether : )

21. Kristen May 9, 2008 at 5:40 pm #

Best. Blog. Post. EVER.

22. Stef May 9, 2008 at 9:06 pm #

I guess everyone likes the racy humor. Hmm… churning away at ideas for future blog posts! Thanks so much for all of your comments. It means so much to me!

K – OK – makes sense. Although you know I relate more to the messy man than to anything resembling neat.

Naomi – Yup! Thanks for the awesome blender and thanks for the props on the blog post!

Jenn – Sounds like a good way to go!

Ben – Interesting! I never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Gil – Umm.. wow. When are you starting your own blog?

Nancy – ;) Thanks!

Vixen – Enjoy your nut butter. Have fun!

Kimberly – I’m sure Gil will be happy to participate when he comes to town.

Kristen – Comments like that make my day! Thanks so much!

23. Katy May 12, 2008 at 6:38 am #

Love it! I’ve been meaning to try making fresh nut butter in my food processor for a while now! :-) And I know what you mean about pastry tips getting clogged — that’s happened to me when my chocolate is not perfectly melted, and it’s SO annoying!

24. Stef May 12, 2008 at 7:06 am #

Katy – Yeah, that’s an understatement. I get so frustrated when that happens!

25. Anonymous June 8, 2008 at 10:33 am #

My fave machine for nut butter is the old Sunbeam Oscar. That baby has more power to size than a D-9 Cat. You can throw a pound of roasted, unsalted spanish peanuts in it and just let it work for 10 minutes. The peanut butter gets hot, but not the motor. Available at yard sales and thrift shops.

26. Stef June 9, 2008 at 9:39 am #

Anon – Nice. New isn’t always better.

27. WU Vinny June 29, 2008 at 4:40 pm #

Stephanie:

You have the first blog NOT related to Exercise, Training, Performance, Nutrition or Sports to be added to my Google Reader.

That’s quite an accomplishment.

28. WU Vinny June 29, 2008 at 4:42 pm #

I meant Stefani, of course.

29. Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 4:56 pm #

I to have a magic bullet – and use it all the time – smoothies, 30 seconds tops. Love it PLUS! The recipe book they send you has all the “tips” on getting it to do wierd stuff, and the fact that you can make everything in a cup, AND save, store, shake, freeze AND COOK is perfect!

I don’t recommend using the juicer extractor for hard veggies at all – I just finished trying it for the first time in the three years I have had it – and it took 5 minutes to get 1/4 cup of juice, (which was AWESOME!) But I spent time picking out the veggies getting jammed – plus hope I didn’t screw the motor up. This thing rocks – get the recipe book! there are the tips you need.
    Haven’t used blender for 3 years at all.

Jen

30. Anonymous July 26, 2009 at 6:13 pm #

Enjoyed this post! I live in a small town and we only have one store that sells raw nut butters. A small 8oz jar of Almond butter is between 12.00 to 14.00 bucks! The coconut, pecan, brazil nut butters are around 18.00+!!!! Even if the butters were just for my use it would be a rare occasion that I would spend that much money on one singl jar of butter! So I make my own and can usually make two 8oz jars for $8.00 or less. Depending on what nuts I use. Plus I like experimenting with different spices and flavored Agave or no sweetner at all if the butter is just for me. I use my food processor and with a little extra time I can get the butter pretty smooth. Do you guys soak the nuts first to remove the enzyme inhibitor. Then place in the dehydrator and dry them up a bit so they don’t produce a soggy butter?

31. Susie A. August 30, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

I have a Hamilton Beach 14 speed blender and a Magic Bullet. This a.m. I decided to make a smoothie with the blender which consisted of frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries and one frozen banana. Low and behold, it was too much for my blender and the motor konked out on me and just died! It wasn’t even that old and rarely use it.

So I threw everything in my Magic Bullet and it blended it all perfectly in about 45 seconds! Old blenders suck! I’ll never go back to them again. LOVE my Magic Bullet! :)

32. Anonymous August 30, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

And b.t.w GIL, this isn’t the forum for that kind of talk! Shame on you! L.o.l.

33. Anonymous August 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm #

And am I the only one who thinks Gil is a PIG???

34. Dana September 3, 2010 at 7:47 am #

I love using my blender for drinks and mixing food. But I simply love the “Nut Butter” recipe.

35. Donna November 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

Great blog! I have a Magic Bullet & I was ripped off! I love my Cuisinart Processer and I don’t know WHAT I was thinking when I bought this thing!!! Processor VS Bullet..yes – bigger is definately better!

36. Heather August 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

Thanks for the inspiration and tips. I wanted to make coconut butter out of shredded coconut, but wasn’t sure my blender was up to the task. After reading about your process and seeing that you have a “normal” blender (not something fancy like a VitaMix), I decided to give it a go and it worked really well!

37. Tara Edwards May 1, 2012 at 4:19 am #

I got my Magic Bullet YEARS ago when my baby was born to make his baby food (they since market a bullet to do just that now). I love it! I use it ALL THE TIME!

IMHO, best nut butter, is made with the kitchenaid attachment. It’s super quick too. That gives you a more natural PB feel. If you want it über velvety, a drizzle of oil in the blender/processor for 10 minutes is key. It get’s separated-like… and slosh around the blender, but then it gets all smooth & velvety. I make a killer chocolate peanut butter and OMG! YUMMAGE!

38. Mary @ Fit and Fed July 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Too funny! I use a Vitamix to make almond butter and walnut butter, it takes but a minute. I bought my young adult offspring a Magic Bullet for that first apartment, I hope it works well! The macadamia nut butter frosting on your baby shower cupcakes looks amazing, it’s a very good nudge toward making my first batch of homemade macadamia nut butter.

1. Pistachio Oil – Baking With Nut Oils | Cupcake Project - May 3, 2013

[...] Nut butter.  This option works really well if you have some on hand.  Most of us have had some experience with peanut butter cookies, for example.  I also love using nut butters for light, fluffy, nutty frostings. [...]

2. Cupcake Project’s G, PG, and PG-13 Rated News | Cupcake Project - May 15, 2013

[...] I have news – lots of news. The first is rated G. It’s very kid friendly. The second is PG due to difficult topics. The third is rated PG-13 for language. If you want something R rated, check out my post on How to Make Nut Butter. [...]

3. Pecan Butter Frosting with Chocolate and Bourbon | Cupcake Project - May 16, 2013

[...] How to Make Nut Butter [...]