Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe | Cupcake Project

Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe

Chessmen

I spent three days of my life figuring out how to make homemade Chessmen cookies so you don’t have to.

Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies, 7.25-ounce (pack of 4)

When I was done, I gave my husband a piece of one of these Chessmen cookies from the bag and a piece of one of mine - he thought he was eating the same cookie.  I did a HUGE happy dance!

View on Amazon.com

Before I figured things out, I had a lot of failures.

Chessmen Fail

Chessmen Fails

I struggled with the recipe proportions, the cookie thickness, and which tool to use to make the raised images.  My biggest struggle, however, turned out to be figuring out how to get the raised images to be the perfect caramel color.  I tackled the problems one at a time.

First was cracking the Chessmen cookie recipe…

12 Responses to Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe

1. Lindsey @ Baking Bytes July 18, 2014 at 11:13 am #

Yum! They turned out awesome! I know what I’m trying after National Ice Cream Month is over…

And thanks for the shout out!

2. Vedika @ Hot Chocolate Hits July 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

I’ve always wanted to make these! Thanks so much for posting, Stephanie! They look AMAZING!

• Stef July 18, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

Thanks! Glad to help out!

3. Kittish July 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

Half a cup of cornstarch in the dough? Wow, that’s a lot of cornstarch.That said, I do like chessmen, so I’ll be trying this recipe out in the not too distant future.

• Stef July 18, 2014 at 10:38 pm #

It makes the cookie more flaky.

4. Vicki Bensinger July 19, 2014 at 7:47 am #

This sounds like such a fun challenge and what perfect cookies you came up with. Congrats on your copy cake Chessmen cookies.

5. Laura | Baking Outside the Box July 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

Thanks for this charming recipe and for the secret of how to get the images to stand out properly. ( I’ve used a foam brush in the kitchen occasionally too!)

6. Mary Anne September 21, 2014 at 9:56 am #

Hi, I’m wondering if you tried it with the cream of tartar and baking soda. I’m convinced the reason i like them is because of that slight bit of cream of tartar. Did you try the recipe with those ingredients (they are both listed as ingredients on the actual cookies)? If not, what proportion would you recommend?

• Stef December 18, 2014 at 7:26 pm #

I didn’t try that. You’d have to experiment and see what worked. Maybe try it as I’ve written it first though just to see if you notice a difference.

7. Johnpatrick Marr December 18, 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Thanks for doing all this bakework and research! Have you tried making any with chocolate flavor? I’ve always wanted to have white vs black chessmen. What would you back off on ingredient-wise to make room for cocoa powder or the like in this recipe? Appreciate your help!

• Stef December 18, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

I haven’t tried it. I’d start by reducing both the flour and the cornstarch a little bit. Let me know if you try it and what works for you!

1. Copycat Pirouette Cookies (Nutella-filled Cigar Cookies) | Cupcake Project - December 4, 2014

[...] up, I always found Pirouettes at fancier events – although Pirouettes are just as common as Chessmen Cookies.  Pirouettes weren’t an after-school kind of cookie; rather, they were more of a [...]