Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe

Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe

I spent three days of my life figuring out how to make homemade Chessmen cookies so you don’t have to.

Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies, 7.25-ounce (pack of 4)

When I was done, I gave my husband a piece of one of these Chessmen cookies from the bag and a piece of one of mine – he thought he was eating the same cookie.  I did a HUGE happy dance!

View on Amazon.com

Before I figured things out, I had a lot of failures.

Chessmen Fail

Chessmen Fails

I struggled with the recipe proportions, the cookie thickness, and which tool to use to make the raised images.  My biggest struggle, however, turned out to be figuring out how to get the raised images to be the perfect caramel color.  I tackled the problems one at a time.

First was cracking the Chessmen cookie recipe…

16 comments on “Homemade Chessmen Cookies Recipe”

1. Yum! They turned out awesome! I know what I’m trying after National Ice Cream Month is over…

And thanks for the shout out!

2. I’ve always wanted to make these! Thanks so much for posting, Stephanie! They look AMAZING!

3. Kittish says:

Half a cup of cornstarch in the dough? Wow, that’s a lot of cornstarch.That said, I do like chessmen, so I’ll be trying this recipe out in the not too distant future.

4. This sounds like such a fun challenge and what perfect cookies you came up with. Congrats on your copy cake Chessmen cookies.

5. Thanks for this charming recipe and for the secret of how to get the images to stand out properly. ( I’ve used a foam brush in the kitchen occasionally too!)

6. Mary Anne says:

Hi, I’m wondering if you tried it with the cream of tartar and baking soda. I’m convinced the reason i like them is because of that slight bit of cream of tartar. Did you try the recipe with those ingredients (they are both listed as ingredients on the actual cookies)? If not, what proportion would you recommend?

• Stef says:

I didn’t try that. You’d have to experiment and see what worked. Maybe try it as I’ve written it first though just to see if you notice a difference.

7. Johnpatrick Marr says:

Thanks for doing all this bakework and research! Have you tried making any with chocolate flavor? I’ve always wanted to have white vs black chessmen. What would you back off on ingredient-wise to make room for cocoa powder or the like in this recipe? Appreciate your help!

• Stef says:

I haven’t tried it. I’d start by reducing both the flour and the cornstarch a little bit. Let me know if you try it and what works for you!

8. mamaqueen says:

These are better than Chessman butter cookies!! I skipped all of the fancy work though. I just rolled them out and used a knife to cut them into rectangles the size of the chessman’s. P.S. I did not use egg to brush them! Any way you slice it( no pun ) they are fantastic!

9. Marylovecat says:

Are you using all purpose flour in your receipt? Is that putting egg (step 2) & milk ( step3) in mixing bowl (step 1) and mix all together? Thanks

10. Renae says:

Hi. I’m so excited to taste these! I got to step #6 and was trying to roll the dough but it wasn’t working. It’s so gooey and keeps sticking to the pin and all. I followed every step. Not sure what happened.

Show All Comments / Leave a Comment