Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars | Cupcake Project

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

Until making homemade nougat, nougat was a mystery to me.  Nougat was the alien chewy substance found in my least favorite candy bars.  A request to make Milky Way cupcakes (more on that in a future post) prompted me to research nougat and ultimately to make some myself.

I learned that while nougat traditionally is a candy prepared with nuts (per Wikipedia: “The word nougat comes from Occitan pan nogat (Occitan pronunciation: [panuˈɣat]), which means nutbread.”), the nougat in Milky Way contains no nuts – it’s a chocolate malt nougat.  It’s made with egg whites (like a meringue), but with the addition of sugar, corn syrup, malted milk powder, and chocolate.

Despite my distaste for Milky Way bars (even before I became a chocolate snob, I didn’t like ultra-sweet candy bars), I bought one for research purposes.  Like a teen buying condoms, I hoped that I wasn’t spotted by anyone who knew me.  Very often, foods that I don’t like become magically delicious when I make them myself.  This was not the case with nougat.  My homemade nougat was a spot-on match for Milky Way’s nougat – sticky and sickeningly sweet.  Do you like Milky Way bars?  You’ll love this stuff!

Does this mean that I didn’t like the Milky Way cupcakes?  Nope.  When I mixed the nougat into chocolate malt cupcake batter, the candy’s sweetness harmoniously balanced the not-so-sweet batter. I was thrilled with the results.  Give me nougat in a cupcake over nougat on its own any day!

Nougat Recipe

I got the malted milk nougat recipe from Elizabeth LaBau at About.com I am reprinting it below with a few minor changes and my notes.

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

• 2 C granulated sugar
  • 2/3 C light corn syrup
  • 2/3 C water
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/3 C malted milk powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt

1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment.
  2. Place the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Brush down the sides of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming (I skipped this step, but didn't have any problems).
  4. Cook without stirring until the temperature on a candy thermometer reaches 260 F. While you wait for the correct temperature, proceed to prepare the rest of the recipe.
  5. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until completely smooth, then set aside to cool slightly.
  6. Place the egg whites in the clean bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
  7. When the syrup reaches 250 F, begin to beat the egg whites on medium speed.
  8. Once the sugar syrup reaches 260 F, remove the pan from the heat.
  9. Turn the mixer to high speed and slowly stream in the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl.
  10. Continue beating on high speed for about 5 minutes, until the egg whites are shiny, white, and stiff.
  11. Turn the mixer down and add the melted chocolate, salt, and malted milk powder. Mix until well-combined and smooth.
  12. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl very well. (The nougat will have the consistency of Fun-Tak Mounting Putty.)
  13. Scrape the nougat into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to cool at room temperature until completely set, then cut into small squares to serve (or set aside to use in cupcakes).
  14. The nougat can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.

29 Responses to Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

1. Kimberly January 24, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Looks so yummy, Stef! And I’m a sucker for anything with malted milk powder … definitely going to try this recipe!

2. Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams January 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

I don’t do well with candies, nougats and such. You make it sound so simple.

3. nancy@skinnykitchen.com January 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Yummy! I love making candy and this recipe looks great.

4. Liz January 25, 2011 at 1:05 am #

Looks awesome, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I especially like your comparison of the nougat texture to putty–so true!

–Elizabeth from About Candy

5. Mari January 25, 2011 at 6:02 am #

It looks delicious. I am just wondering if it can be used as a cake filling.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. Anonymous January 25, 2011 at 10:08 am #

OK, I’m ready for the future post! I want the Milky Way Cupcake Recipe!!!

7. Lisa@ButteryBooks January 25, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I always wondered how that was made! I usually eat the outer chocolate first and then the inside nougat. Now I can just have the nougat. Love it!

8. SAMANTHA January 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

woah. this got my attention immediately – looks incredible.

xx

9. Joy January 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Oh wow, I don’t believe you made nougat. It looks wonderful.

10. Yolanda January 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Definitely not a nougat (or Milky Way or Three Musketeers bar) fan. But love knowing how to make it. Never occurred to me there was malt in there.

11. Stef January 26, 2011 at 8:40 am #

Mari – It would be difficult to use as a cake filling because it’s not very spreadable. However, maybe if you put it on the cake while it was still hot, it could work. Might be worth a try.

12. Wilde in the Kitchen January 27, 2011 at 8:51 am #

Personally, I love Milky Way bars. And my goal this year is to make candy! I’ll have to save this recipe for later!

13. Marly January 28, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Looks like a fun recipe. Thanks for sharing!

14. Joanna February 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Is there anything that I could substitute for malted milk powder? I’ve never heard of it, and never seen it in Australia. Could I use a choc malt drink powder instead?

15. Stef February 1, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Joanna – Yes you could. It might taste slightly different, but I think that it will work fine.

16. Meaghan Luby February 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

i had a similar question to joanna, glad that i can just use malt drink powder! i am very intrigued with this entire concept. this means we could make our own 3 musketeer bars or snickers! yumm, or make peanut rolled paydays with a peanut butter nougat. the candy possibilities are kind of awesome :)
    thanks for sharing!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @

17. Carol February 13, 2011 at 9:34 am #

Trying to figure out what I did wrong – my nougat was shiny and very sticky. I couldn’t cut it, it stuck to everything even the plate. It was like a hard taffy. Tasted good though…

18. Stef February 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Carol – I just sent you an email as well. Was it still shiny and sticky after it fully cooled? Mine was just as you described when I spread it into the pan, but after it cooled, I was able to cut it.

19. Lizzy August 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

May I ask what brand of malted milk powder you used? I’ve tried baking with Carnation – the only brand I can find in stores – and the flavor just does not come through.

20. Stef August 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Lizzy – I’m sure there are better options, but I also could only find Carnation when I made these, so that’s what I used.

21. Parcel Cakes September 26, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Hi! I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you have any suggestions for turning this into cupcake frosting? Trying to make milky bar cupcakes!

22. Anonymous October 21, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

made it tonight, and it tastes great! Not sure that I have the patience to let it set. How long should that take? It is nice and dry on top, bu the centre is quite sticky and it is really sticking to the parchment paper… it has been about two hours.

23. Yola June 17, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

I made this recipe twice during the last couple of days. My nougat resembles more of a chocolate marshmallow creme. It tastes great, but I have difficulties obtaining the ‘nougat’ consistency. It is sticky and not firm. Any suggestions on what I might have done wrong?

24. Andre June 20, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Mine did not turn out like the picture at all.
    It’s been sitting for maybe 30 minutes and it’s brownish and the consistency of honey maybe? maybe it will get more hard?

1. Nut and Cherry Nougat Recipe | Leite's Culinaria - April 23, 2013

[...] Nougat With Chocolate Malt from Cupcake Project [...]

2. Malted Milk Pancakes | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] had a lot of leftover malted milk powder from my nougat and Milky Way cupcakes.  I could obviously use it to make malted milkshakes, but I found a recipe [...]

3. Milky Way Cupcakes | Cupcake Project - April 27, 2013

[...] cake part of the Milky Way cupcakes is a chocolate malt cupcake with homemade chocolate malt nougat mixed into the batter.  If you don’t have the time to make homemade chocolate malt nougat, [...]

4. Chocolate-Hazelnut & Nougat Cookies - White Lights on Wednesday - May 22, 2013

[...] Chocolate-Hazelnut & Nougat Cookies Author: White Lights on Wednesday ][ Nougat from Cupcake Project Prep time:  25 mins Cook time:  10 mins Total time:  35 [...]