Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

Share:

Until making homemade nougat, nougat was a mystery to me.  Nougat was the alien chewy substance found in my least favorite candy bars.  A request to make Milky Way cupcakes (more on that in a future post) prompted me to research nougat and ultimately to make some myself.

I learned that while nougat traditionally is a candy prepared with nuts (per Wikipedia: “The word nougat comes from Occitan pan nogat (Occitan pronunciation: [panuˈɣat]), which means nutbread.”), the nougat in Milky Way contains no nuts – it’s a chocolate malt nougat.  It’s made with egg whites (like a meringue), but with the addition of sugar, corn syrup, malted milk powder, and chocolate.

Despite my distaste for Milky Way bars (even before I became a chocolate snob, I didn’t like ultra-sweet candy bars), I bought one for research purposes.  Like a teen buying condoms, I hoped that I wasn’t spotted by anyone who knew me.  Very often, foods that I don’t like become magically delicious when I make them myself.  This was not the case with nougat.  My homemade nougat was a spot-on match for Milky Way’s nougat – sticky and sickeningly sweet.  Do you like Milky Way bars?  You’ll love this stuff!

Does this mean that I didn’t like the Milky Way cupcakes?  Nope.  When I mixed the nougat into chocolate malt cupcake batter, the candy’s sweetness harmoniously balanced the not-so-sweet batter. I was thrilled with the results.  Give me nougat in a cupcake over nougat on its own any day!

Nougat Recipe

I got the malted milk nougat recipe from Elizabeth LaBau at About.com I am reprinting it below with a few minor changes and my notes.

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars

• 2 C granulated sugar
  • 2/3 C light corn syrup
  • 2/3 C water
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/3 C malted milk powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt

1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment.
  2. Place the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Brush down the sides of the saucepan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming (I skipped this step, but didn't have any problems).
  4. Cook without stirring until the temperature on a candy thermometer reaches 260 F. While you wait for the correct temperature, proceed to prepare the rest of the recipe.
  5. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Stir until completely smooth, then set aside to cool slightly.
  6. Place the egg whites in the clean bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
  7. When the syrup reaches 250 F, begin to beat the egg whites on medium speed.
  8. Once the sugar syrup reaches 260 F, remove the pan from the heat.
  9. Turn the mixer to high speed and slowly stream in the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl.
  10. Continue beating on high speed for about 5 minutes, until the egg whites are shiny, white, and stiff.
  11. Turn the mixer down and add the melted chocolate, salt, and malted milk powder. Mix until well-combined and smooth.
  12. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the sides of the bowl very well. (The nougat will have the consistency of Fun-Tak Mounting Putty.)
  13. Scrape the nougat into the prepared pan and smooth it into an even layer. Allow it to cool at room temperature until completely set, then cut into small squares to serve (or set aside to use in cupcakes).
  14. The nougat can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.

26 comments on “Nougat With Chocolate Malt – Like in Milky Way Bars”

1. Kimberly says:

Looks so yummy, Stef! And I’m a sucker for anything with malted milk powder … definitely going to try this recipe!

2. I don’t do well with candies, nougats and such. You make it sound so simple.

3. Yummy! I love making candy and this recipe looks great.

4. Liz says:

Looks awesome, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I especially like your comparison of the nougat texture to putty–so true!

–Elizabeth from About Candy

5. Mari says:

It looks delicious. I am just wondering if it can be used as a cake filling.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. Anonymous says:

OK, I’m ready for the future post! I want the Milky Way Cupcake Recipe!!!

7. I always wondered how that was made! I usually eat the outer chocolate first and then the inside nougat. Now I can just have the nougat. Love it!

8. SAMANTHA says:

woah. this got my attention immediately – looks incredible.

xx

9. Joy says:

Oh wow, I don’t believe you made nougat. It looks wonderful.

10. Yolanda says:

Definitely not a nougat (or Milky Way or Three Musketeers bar) fan. But love knowing how to make it. Never occurred to me there was malt in there.

11. Stef says:

Mari – It would be difficult to use as a cake filling because it’s not very spreadable. However, maybe if you put it on the cake while it was still hot, it could work. Might be worth a try.

12. Personally, I love Milky Way bars. And my goal this year is to make candy! I’ll have to save this recipe for later!

13. Marly says:

Looks like a fun recipe. Thanks for sharing!

14. Joanna says:

Is there anything that I could substitute for malted milk powder? I’ve never heard of it, and never seen it in Australia. Could I use a choc malt drink powder instead?

15. Stef says:

Joanna – Yes you could. It might taste slightly different, but I think that it will work fine.

16. Meaghan Luby says:

i had a similar question to joanna, glad that i can just use malt drink powder! i am very intrigued with this entire concept. this means we could make our own 3 musketeer bars or snickers! yumm, or make peanut rolled paydays with a peanut butter nougat. the candy possibilities are kind of awesome :)
    thanks for sharing!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @

17. Carol says:

Trying to figure out what I did wrong – my nougat was shiny and very sticky. I couldn’t cut it, it stuck to everything even the plate. It was like a hard taffy. Tasted good though…

18. Stef says:

Carol – I just sent you an email as well. Was it still shiny and sticky after it fully cooled? Mine was just as you described when I spread it into the pan, but after it cooled, I was able to cut it.

19. Lizzy says:

May I ask what brand of malted milk powder you used? I’ve tried baking with Carnation – the only brand I can find in stores – and the flavor just does not come through.

20. Stef says:

Lizzy – I’m sure there are better options, but I also could only find Carnation when I made these, so that’s what I used.

21. Parcel Cakes says:

Hi! I know this is an older post but I was wondering if you have any suggestions for turning this into cupcake frosting? Trying to make milky bar cupcakes!

22. Anonymous says:

made it tonight, and it tastes great! Not sure that I have the patience to let it set. How long should that take? It is nice and dry on top, bu the centre is quite sticky and it is really sticking to the parchment paper… it has been about two hours.

23. Yola says:

I made this recipe twice during the last couple of days. My nougat resembles more of a chocolate marshmallow creme. It tastes great, but I have difficulties obtaining the ‘nougat’ consistency. It is sticky and not firm. Any suggestions on what I might have done wrong?

24. Andre says:

Mine did not turn out like the picture at all.
    It’s been sitting for maybe 30 minutes and it’s brownish and the consistency of honey maybe? maybe it will get more hard?