Candy Cap Mushrooms – The Dessert Mushroom | Cupcake Project

Candy Cap Mushrooms – The Dessert Mushroom

Candy cap mushrooms cannot be found in the Halloween candy aisle of your grocery store. Candy cap mushrooms do not contain artificial sweeteners or additives of any kind; they have one ingredient: mushroom.  Why the name?  Candy cap mushrooms are sweet, making them one of the only mushroom varieties recommended for use in desserts.

The Best Thing About Candy Cap Mushrooms

The best thing about candy cap mushrooms is that they smell like this:

If you are now craving pancakes, check out my pancake recipe.

Every time I came home from an errand for the first few days after receiving a package from Oregon Mushrooms with the dried candy caps, I imagined a server at IHOP greeting me and telling me about the Rooty Tooty Fresh N’ Fruity.

Not only did the dried candy caps smell like breakfast, the shipping box they came in even retained the smell.  I opened the box (not the sealed package in the box) in our bedroom, and for days it was like I was sleeping in a vat of maple syrup.  This might disgust some of you.  But, for me, it was like the pure joy of Scrooge McDuck swimming in money.

The scent of the candy caps was completely intoxicating. Since Oregon Mushrooms was kind enough to send me 4 oz to play with, I decided to try three different recipes with the candy caps.  I made a soup, cookies, and of course, cupcakes.  In upcoming posts, I’ll tell you about the different techniques that I used with the mushrooms and my varying levels of success.

If you want to try out – and improve upon – some of my recipes, be sure to pick up your Halloween candy at Oregon Mushrooms.

10 Responses to Candy Cap Mushrooms – The Dessert Mushroom

1. Stephanie October 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Ooh I love candy caps! I got some in Portland last month and made some flan with them (http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/?p=2529). I think I still have a few left, so I’m excited to check out your recipes!

2. Stef October 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

Steph- Your flan sounded awesome! I saw your post last week and left a comment. I may have to try making the flan with my leftover mushrooms.

3. the blissful baker October 6, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

woww so interesting! i’m from oregon, and why have i have i never heard of these?

4. Duchess October 7, 2010 at 4:55 am #

Oh my! This is news to me, I’ve never even heard of them! Now I have to try them, thanks so much!

5. Natalie October 7, 2010 at 7:31 am #

so crazy! I’ve never heard of these–thanks for the fun info :)

6. Joy October 8, 2010 at 10:17 am #

I have never heard of these mushrooms. I could just imagine how they smell.

7. Anonymous October 11, 2012 at 2:32 am #

Where are they found and what are they used for besides cooking?

• Anonymous January 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

Look under oak trees littered with poison oak during january to feb

1. Brown Butter Lucuma Bars | Cupcake Project - April 22, 2013

[...] In fact, I heard of lucuma for the first time when my friends Ian and Gabi mentioned that my candy cap mushrooms (also considered to have a maple flavor) reminded them of lucuma ice cream they had sampled. While [...]

2. Potato, Mushroom, and Apple Soup | Cupcake Project - May 1, 2013

[...] I baked with my candy cap mushrooms (read my post on candy cap mushrooms for the back story), I wanted to try using them in a more traditional way.  I put them in a soup [...]