Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes | Cupcake Project

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

“It did a happy dance in my mouth!” said my mother-in-law after tasting my pomegranate mojito cupcakes. I couldn’t have said it better myself. But what kind of dance? I’d say a Lindy Hop. The sweetness of PAMA Pomegranate Liqueur combined with the tangy sourness of mint*, rum, and lime reminds me of a high energy couple bouncing around the dance floor, occasionally doing flips and throws to the thrill of the crowd (perhaps I have an overactive imagination).

Cooking With PAMA

I made these pomegranate mojito cupcakes as an entry into the Cooking with PAMA Contest. If I win When I win, I get to go to the Food and Wine Classic in Aspen! I wanted to wait until I had a cupcake that I really thought could win before entering – this pomegranate mojito cupcake is it!
Update: I didn’t win.  But, it was sure fun trying!

BTW – Isn’t the PAMA bottle gorgeous! Jonathan couldn’t resist taking its photo.

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcake Recipe

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

For the pomegranate mojito syrup
  • 1/2 C light rum
  • For the PAMA Frosting
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 T sour cream
  • 3 T freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 T PAMA
  • 2 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 pomegranate (optional)

For the cupcakes
  1. Bring all syrup ingredients to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
  2. Reduce heat and simmer for fifteen minutes until you have about 1/2 cup of syrup.
  3. Strain mint leaves and set syrup aside.
  4. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, lime zest, and mint in a bowl.
  5. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
  6. Beat eggs, sour cream, and lime juice into the butter/sugar mixture until blended.
  7. Alternately fold in flour mixture and syrup.
  8. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
  10. For the PAMA Frosting
  11. Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
  12. Spread on cupcakes.
  13. Optionally, garnish with pomegranate seeds.

*I know that I said I would never make a cupcake with mint, but mint is growing on me and I really should never say never.

17 Responses to Pomegranate Mojito Cupcakes

1. Lydia Story November 3, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

Wow, my mouth is watering just reading about it! I love pomegranates and mint. I could probaly cancel lunch with my sister tomorrow so I can make these. :)
    Thank you!!

2. Karen November 3, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

Beautiful cupcakes! I would love to try these one day. And you are right, that bottle is lovely.

3. Bryna November 4, 2009 at 10:29 am #

Those, sound delicious!

4. Anonymous November 4, 2009 at 11:50 am #

I wonder if these could be made with pomegranate juice instead of the liqueur???

5. Cupcake Activist November 4, 2009 at 12:03 pm #

Never thought of making pomegranate cupcakes. Sounds delicious!

6. How To Eat A Cupcake November 4, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

Mmm these sound and look delish! I’m so happy it’s pomegranate season! I have two in my fridge right now! You can’t beat $1.50/ea!

7. Amanda November 4, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

If I thought I could buy Pama anywhere near Smalltown, GA (a dry county), I would swap my weekend cupcake recipe for this one in a heartbeat. I’ve been dying to make a mojito cupcake, but adding Pama sounds amazing and too good to put off.

8. Alyssa November 5, 2009 at 7:19 am #

Oh gods, I am all over these cupcakes. Why, oh why, do I have to be making carrot cake for a birthday this weekend, when I could be making these? Mojitos and pomegranate, wow! And yes, the bottle is gorgeous, too.

9. Kiara November 7, 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Okay, first of all…
    I LOVE An American Tail (so props for the video, haha)

I’m going to HAVE to make these… (but with Pom instead…I’m underage :P )

10. Mira November 8, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

mmm..that looks yummmm!

11. Stef November 8, 2009 at 8:23 pm #

Glad you guys liked these! Let me know if you try them!

Anon – If you couldn’t get the liqueur, I’m imagine that Pom would work just fine.

12. Anonymous November 11, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

The PAMA bottle is indeed pretty, but it was too tall to fit on my bar shelves, so I gave it away.

13. mycupcake January 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

looks delicious!

14. claire November 19, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

i linked to these cupcakes today! they look amazing!

15. Maky February 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I am not sure if I can buy Pama where I live (Amsterdam, the Netherlands), I am going to go out see if I can and if not if we have another pomegranate liqeuer that I can use instead. If I can’t though I am going to try to make and make it with pomegranate juice as a substitute. The whole recipe sounds fabulous though,I really am looking forward to trying these!

16. Josh April 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

So looking forward to making these this weekend, I would rather stick to using PAMA over POM because I feel like the liquer would add moistness and a little umphhh. But can you buy PAMA most places??! Has anyone had trouble finding it?

17. Stef April 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

Josh – I found it at my local supermarket. Hope you had luck!