Hummingbird cupcakes are a cross between banana cupcakes and pineapple cupcakes with a heavy dose of pecans mixed in. They are wonderful with a swirl of cream cheese frosting!
Servings: 16 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas pack the mashed bananas down and allow to overflow slightly, about 2 bananas worth
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple drained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- fresh pineapple optional, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.
Mix in eggs.
Mix in sour cream, flour, baking soda, and allspice until just combined.
Mix in vanilla and mashed bananas until just combined.
Mix in pineapple.
Gently fold in pecans.
Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners - filling almost all the way to the top of the liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting and Topping Instructions
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
Mix in the vanilla.
Mix in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time until fully combined.
Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Dip in or sprinkle with chopped pecans and top with a piece of pineapple.
Pineapple almond butter cream cheese frosting variation:
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (in this case, there is no need to drain it)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Place crushed pineapple and water in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Mix in brown sugar.
- Stir occasionally and reduce the mixture for about fifteen minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy (about three minutes).
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of the sweetened pineapple and the almond butter.
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 132mg | Potassium: 131mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 538IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg