Light and lemony cupcakes with a lemon buttercream frosting.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time14 mins
Total Time29 mins
Servings: 16 cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour not self-rising
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest zest from about 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil you can also use vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract use pure, not imitation
- 2/3 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar add more until it reaches your preferred consistency
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest zest of about 2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
In a medium-sized mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix together sugar, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. and lemon zest.
Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes. Because there is so little butter, you'll end up with a very fine crumb texture.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. The batter will be liquid. (Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. It's supposed to be that way.)
Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full.
Bake for 14 minutes and then test to see if they are done. They are done when a toothpick comes out without wet batter stuck to it. The cupcakes should appear white with specks of vanilla bean. They should not turn a golden brown. If they are not done, test again in two minutes. If they are still not done, test again in another two minutes.
When the cupcakes are done, remove them immediately from the tins and leave them on a cooling rack (or just on your counter if you don't own a cooling rack) to cool.
Beat butter on high speed with an electric mixer for about three minutes until light and airy.
Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
Add lemon zest and salt and continue to beat for another minute. If desired, add more powdered sugar to make the buttercream frosting stiffer.
Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
- Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
- Use room temperature ingredients - everything will mix together more smoothly that way.
- Because everyone's oven is just a bit different and your liners may be a slightly different size than mine, I highly recommend that you bake a test cupcake before baking your whole batch of vanilla cupcakes. Read my FAQ on filling cupcake liners to learn how to do a test cupcake and why it's useful.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 520IU | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.3mg