Dutch Apple Pie
This Dutch apple pie with crumb topping features juicy apple filling baked into a flaky crust with a sweet streusel topping.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 pounds tart apples a mix of red and green, sliced into 8-10 slices per apple (no need to peel them)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 9" pie crust
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats you can substitute this for granola
- 4 ounces nuts any variety of nuts or candied nuts will work; optional
Crumb Topping Instructions
While the pie is baking, mix all crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl until large crumbs form. I suggest doing this with your hands. Stop as soon as you have large crumbs. Do not overmix.
At 40 minutes when you remove the pie from the oven, top evenly with crumbs. Cover crust with a pie guard if it is getting brown.
Bake for another 20 minutes. Crumbs should be dark brown but not burnt.
Cool for at least three hours before cutting into pie.
My favorite pie crust recipe is from Brave Tart with the addition of the zest of one lemon. You can also use any store-bought pie crust.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 198mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 395IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg