Healthy Carrot Cake (Gluten-free and Dairy-free)
This healthy carrot cake is just as good as any carrot cake you've had, but it's gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo! It's made with almond flour, sweetened with maple syrup and dates, and frosted with whipped coconut cream.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons oil such as almond oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped carrots chopped in the food processor to the size of cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup pureed dates pureed to a sticky mass in the food processor
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 27 ounces full-fat coconut milk two cans; be careful to not shake the cans
Preheat oven to 325 F.
In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, maple syrup, and oil.
Mix chopped carrots and pureed dates into the wet ingredients.
Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Fold in the pecans.
Pour batter into a greased 8" square baking dish.
Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Open both cans of coconut milk and scrape the coconut cream that sits on top into a medium-sized bowl.
Use a whisk or a hand mixer to whip the coconut cream until light and fluffy.
Spread the coconut cream on the cake.
Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Almond flour and almond meal are the same thing only almond flour is more finely ground. You can use either in this recipe.
If you aren't dairy-free and want to splurge a little, you can frost this cake with cream cheese frosting.
If you make this recipe as cupcakes, adjust baking time to 20 minutes.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 295mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2735IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3.2mg