Tres Leches Cupcakes
Tres leches cupcakes are the cupcake version of tres leches cake. They're ever so moist and topped with fresh whipped cream and cinnamon.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Chilling Time4 hrs
Total Time1 hr
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour not self-rising
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- whipped cream to taste, as frosting for the cupcakes
- cinnamon to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whip egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
Add 1/4 cup of sugar and continue whipping at high speed until stiff peaks form.
In another mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar until pale yellow and doubled in volume.
Mix in milk, vanilla, cake flour, baking powder, and salt on low speed until fully combined.
Gently fold in beaten egg whites/sugar with a spatula.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Set cupcakes onto a cooling rack. Use a skewer or a toothpick to poke lots of holes in the cupcakes.
In a small mixing bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk.
Pour a little of the liquid over each cupcake making a small puddle on top of the cupcakes. Wait a few minutes for the liquid to absorb. Then, pour more liquid onto each cupcake. You may not use all of the liquid.
Place the cupcakes in the refrigerator in a covered container overnight.
Pipe or spread whipped cream on top of the cupcakes and optionally dust with cinnamon.
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- You may have a little leftover liquid and that's OK. Don't try to use it all if it isn't being absorbed.
- The cupcakes may sink a little bit after being removed from the oven. This is normal. Don't worry, you are topping them with whipped cream!
- At first I thought that the liquid would soak through normal paper cupcake liners, but I found that the liners stayed totally dry. So, feel free to use whichever liners you prefer.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 89mg | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 120IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 0.3mg