Red Wine Cupcakes
Wine and chocolate come together in these delicious red wine cupcakes!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 18 cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons raw cocoa powder 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons; Any cocoa powder will work, but raw cocoa powder has a reaction with the baking soda that causes the cupcakes to have a slightly - very subtle - red hue. Plus, it has a great flavor!
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons, soft but cool
- 1 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- cream cheese frosting
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Sift flour and cocoa powder together into a small bowl.
Combine butter, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
Mix on low to medium speed to moisten, then increase to medium and cream until fluffy and light, about five minutes pausing to scrape the bowl and beater halfway through.
With the mixer running, add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
Reduce speed to low and sprinkle in one-third of the flour/cocoa, followed by a third of the red wine. Alternate between the two, allowing each addition to be roughly incorporated before adding the next.
Fold batter with a flexible spatula to ensure that is it is well mixed from the bottom up.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes emerges with only a few crumbs attached.
Once cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.
Recipe printed with permission from Stella Parks.
Frost with a simple cream cheese frosting or try Brave Tart's custard-based cream cheese frosting.
Use an inexpensive wine for baking. Good wine won't make it taste any better. Try any of the following dry reds:
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 116mg | Potassium: 54mg | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.5mg