Panettone – Cupcake Style
Panettone can be really rich, and provides a LOT of cake in one sitting. These cupcakes give the amazing flavor in a much more manageable serving.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 1 .25 ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 C warm water 110 degrees F/45 degrees C
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C nonfat plain yogurt I used Greek yogurt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T grated lemon zest I used 1/4 t lemon extract and 1/4 t orange extract
- 1/4 t salt
- 4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C dried currants
- 1/4 C raisins I also added 1/4 C dried cherries and 1/4 C dried cranberries. Feel free to add whatever dried fruit you like!
- 1 T confectioners' sugar
- 1 T butter melted (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine yeast, water and sugar.
Cover and let stand 10 minutes, or until foamy.
Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Mix well.
Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms into a manageable ball.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, until dough is soft and pliable, but not sticky. (You may need up to 5 cups flour.)
Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
In a small bowl, toss dried fruit with confectioners' sugar.
Punch down dough, transfer to floured surface, and knead in the fruit.
Line cupcake tin with liners and divide dough evenly between them.
Cover loosely with dish towel, and let rise 30 minutes.
Brush with melted butter, if desired.
Bake for at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1.4% | Vitamin C: 1.3% | Calcium: 3.4% | Iron: 12.4%