Back to School Cupcakes – (A)pple, (B)anana, (C)arrot
My back to school cupcakes celebrate the ABC's - apples, bananas, and carrots. In doing so, they are almost healthy.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 14 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 C finely chopped carrots about 1 large carrot - It's easiest to do this in a food processor. If you use organic carrots and scrub them well, you don't even have to peel them first.
- 1 C overripe banana about 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 C unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 medium-sized lemon
- 1 C apples peeled and roughly chopped (I used Golden Delicious, but you can use whatever kind you like)
- Cinnamon cream cheese frosting see cinnamon cream cheese frosting recipe
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
In a large bowl, mix honey, sugar, carrots, bananas, butter, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest until well combined.
Add flour a little bit at a time, mixing until just combined.
Fold in apples.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Frost with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 35.6% | Vitamin C: 2.8% | Calcium: 2.7% | Iron: 4.8%