Shoofly cupcakes are my cupcake interpretation of shoofly pie. Shoofly cupcakes are sticky sweet cupcakes made with sugar syrup and brown sugar crumbs. They are best served warm, à la mode or topped with whipped cream.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 15 cupcakes
Crumb Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Syrup Filling Ingredients
- 3/4 cup syrup I used Lyle's Golden Syrup. See my post on shoofly pie bars for other options.
- 3/4 cup water hot but not boiling
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons crumbs from above
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Crumb Crust Instructions
In a small mixing bowl, mix all of the crumb ingredients together. I do this part by hand. The crumbs will be small and loose, like fine breadcrumbs.
Set two tablespoons of crumbs aside to use in the whipped cream.
Syrup Filling Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Fill the cupcake liners one third full with packed down crumbs.
Pour about 3 tablespoons of the syrup over the crumbs. I used four tablespoons on mine and some of them overflowed in the oven.
Top the syrup with another layer of crumbs.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Lower heat to 350 F and bake for another 20 minutes.
Whipped Cream Instructions
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 89mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 344IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg