Hamantashen Recipe - Tips to Make the Perfect Purim Cookies
An easy recipe for perfect Hamataschen cookies for Purim!
Servings: 36 cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- your choice of filling jam, jelly, preserves, chocolate chips, nuts, prune filling, etc.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Mix in butter and eggs.
Lightly flour work surface and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
Use a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass to cut hamantaschen dough into circles. You can make them any size that you like.
Use your finger or a pastry brush to moisten the edge of each circle with a tiny bit of water. This will help the cookies stay closed during baking.
Fold down one third of the circle, covering a portion of the filling. Then, fold the next third down, overlapping the first third. Finally, fold down the last third to create your triangle. Press the overlapping areas gently to seal in the goodness.
Bake on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are just starting to brown.
- If you like a shinier look to your cookies, brush the top of the triangle with egg before baking.
- Always fold to shape the cookies, never pinch.
- Have fun experimenting with different fillings. You can use many different fillings in the same batch of cookies.
- Store the cookies in a sealed container for up to one week or package them to give to friends in Purim baskets (mishloach manot).
Calories: 88kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 51mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 140IU | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.6mg