Lamb and Apricot Stew
The apricot lends wonderful sweetness to gamey lamb in this hearty stew.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 T oil I used olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 lb 400 g boned leg of lab, cubed
- 14 oz can 400 g of chopped tomatoes
- 1 C 1/2 pint of water
- 10-14 dried apricots
- 1 dried chili finely chopped (I didn't have any on hand so I used 1 t hot sauce)
- 1 sprig of rosemary chopped (We had some growing in our backyard. I was excited to get to use it. I used several sprigs.)
- 1 t clear honey I used a regular non-clear clover honey
- Chopped toasted almonds to garnish I didn't toast them
- Salt and pepper It didn't need it
Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
Stir in the ground cinnamon and cloves. Fry for 1 minute.
Add the lamb. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir until browned.
Add the tomatoes, water, apricots, chili, rosemary, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil.
Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 45 minutes.
Stir in the honey and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the lamb is tender.
Serve garnished with some chopped almonds.
Calories: 731kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 73g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 320mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1.4mg