When I told Jonathan that I was going to decorate a cupcake with grapes, he got a little scared. You see, the last time that I decorated with grapes, I created grape man (just go look). I assured him that this time, I’d keep it more normal and simply replace the iconic cherry on top with a grape. Why grapes at all? This is my cupcake version of Waldorf salad – a fruity salad created in the late 1800’s at the Waldorf hotel in New York.
These Waldorf salad cupcakes have all the trappings of a Waldorf salad; there are no greens, of course, but the cupcakes contain apples, raisins, walnuts, lemon, and even mayonnaise. If you are a mayonnaise hater, don’t worry – rather than making the cupcakes taste like a condiment, the mayonnaise simply adds moisture (after all, mayonnaise is made with eggs and oil – key cupcake ingredients).
The prominent flavor in these Waldorf salad cupcakes is tart lemon, making them taste as fresh and salady as a cupcake can. If you close your eyes and try really hard, you might even convince yourself for a second that you are keeping that New Year’s resolution to eat more salad.
Waldorf Salad Cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¾ cup full-fat mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¾ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup finely chopped apples
- Whipped cream to taste
- 9 grapes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in the butter, and mix until well-combined. You should end up with a fine crumb texture.
- Mix in mayonnaise until well-combined.
- Mix in lemon juice until well-combined.
- Fold in raisins, walnuts, and apples.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
- Remove cupcakes from tins and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Once cool, top cupcakes with whipped cream and garnish with half of a grape.
Do You Like the Idea of a Salad Cupcake?
I got the idea for a salad cupcake from The Baking Robot’s Watergate Salad Cupcakes. The Baking Robot has a ton of other fun and creative cupcakes worth checking out. Have a look for more cupcake fun!