This tapioca pudding is for kids! I have no kids, so I can’t prove it, but look at that photo and tell me that this bowl of tapioca pudding doesn’t look like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles or Fruit Loops. The trick is to buy large and colorful tapioca pearls. The tapioca pudding recipe will work no matter what kind of tapioca pearls you buy, but the colorful, big ones are just so fun!!
Tapioca Pudding Recipe
I got the tapioca pudding recipe from Simply Recipes (check out Elise’s post if you want to see what a more adult version of tapioca pudding looks like). I am reprinting it below with my modifications and notes.
Tapioca Pudding Recipe for Kids
- 1 C large pearl tapioca colorful is the most fun!
- 2 C 2% milk
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- Combine tapioca, milk, heavy cream, and salt in 1 1/2 quart pan on medium high heat. Stir until boiling.
- Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly to equalize the temperature of the two mixtures (to avoid curdling).
- Return eggs to pan with tapioca. Slowly bring mixture barely to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and stir several minutes at a low simmer, stirring constantly until you get a nice, thick pudding consistency.
- Cool 15 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve either warm or chilled.
I used this tapioca pudding to make pudding cupcakes!