This summer “pumpkin” pie doesn’t quite taste like pumpkin pie (as my pumpkin pie-loving friend was quick to point out), but when I close my eyes and eat a slice straight out of the refrigerator, I could easily be fooled.
Rather than using pumpkin, this vegan pie uses something much more readily available in summer…
Sweet zucchini cream pie is a gateway to fall in that it uses a summer vegetable to make a pie with fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Around here we’ve been “enjoying” 100 degree weather and I couldn’t be more ready for fall to arrive! Vegan zucchini pie made with fresh zucchini and tofu shares both pumpkin pie’s seasonings and its cool, creamy consistency.
As with zucchini bread, eating a piece of zucchini pie doesn’t taste anything like eating the vegetable on its own. The zucchini merely serves as a canvas for the other flavors.
Summer “Pumpkin” Pie Recipe
This zucchini pie was inspired by several posts: Food.com’s Zucchini Dessert Pie (which inspired me to make zucchini pie) , Whole Foods’ Vegan Pumpkin Pie (where I got an idea for how to make the pie vegan), and Post Punk Kitchen’s Pecan Crunch Topping (which I used to top the pie).
You can make this pie with any pie crust you like (be sure it’s vegan if you want the whole pie to be vegan). Look for my new favorite vegan pie crust very soon on the blog. I’m a crust girl and this crust was just as good as any all-butter crust I’ve ever had.
Summer "Pumpkin" Pie with Crunchy Pecan Topping (Vegan)
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 cups steamed and pureed zucchini about 3 large zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey if you eat it or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- unbaked 9" pie crust
Pecan Topping Ingredients
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch salt
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Blend all ingredients (except the crust, of course) until completely smooth.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350.
- Bake 20 minutes. While baking, prepare pecan topping.
Pecan Topping Instructions
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until nuts are completely coated in sugar and oil.
- Remove pie from oven and top with pecan topping.
- If crust is browning, cover crust with foil to prevent it from burning.
- Return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the pie comes out clean.
- Bring to room temperature, and then chill in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.