As a child, I loved Strawberry Shortcake
and I loved jump roping and singing about strawberry shortcake.
But, I never actually ate strawberry shortcake because I didn’t like whipped cream. This was due to the fact that I never had fresh whipped cream. Fresh whipped cream = WOW! Whipped cream in the can = Eww. No thanks! Call me a whipped cream snob – I don’t care!
When I made my olive oil cupcakes with balsamic whipped cream, Katy of Sugarlaws said that she used the balsamic whipped cream in a strawberry shortcake. I filed the idea away until now! No one could tell what the secret ingredient was in the whipped cream (especially because I used white balsamic) – they just knew that they LOVED it!
The Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake Recipe
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Balsamic Whipped Cream
- 1 pound fresh strawberries roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter unlike most cupcake recipes, the butter should be straight out of the refrigerator, not room temperature
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar or more, your preference
- 2 cup balsamic vinegar It will look prettier if you use white balsamic vinegar.
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl (don't use your electric mixer, make this recipe by hand to avoid over mixing) combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar, and the salt.
- Cut in the butter and mix by hand until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk.
- Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake wrappers.
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
- Mix in 1/4 cup sugar and balsamic vinegar until just combined.
- Slice partially cooled cupcakes in half, making two layers.
- Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with some whipped cream.
- Replace the top halves of the cupcakes.
- Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.