These strawberry rhubarb cupcakes are the cupcake version of strawberry rhubarb pie. Fresh strawberry and rhubarb pieces are mixed throughout the cupcake batter so each cupcake bite provides a small taste akin to strawberry rhubarb pie filling.
I top these cupcakes with a vibrant lemon vanilla bean buttercream frosting that’s perfect for spring, but you can swap that out for any frosting from my top fall cupcakes if you have a great fall rhubarb harvest.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour not self-rising
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped strawberries
- ½ cup finely chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- zest of two medium-sized lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until fully combined.
- Mix in cake flour and baking soda.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in orange juice.
- Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter until light and fluffy (about three minutes on high speed).
- Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
- Mix in vanilla bean paste and lemon zest.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.