Roasted, pureed, and sweetened carrots meet a light cheesecake layer and a pecan brown sugar crust in this showstopper springtime carrot pie. The texture is similar to sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie, but the flavors are destined for springtime celebrations.
If you’ve never had carrot pie before, you’re not alone. I hadn’t either. I was curious if I could bake a carrot pie in the same way as a sweet potato pie. If so, I knew that I wanted to integrate one of carrot cake’s best elements, the cream cheese frosting, into the carrot pie recipe. I could and I did!
I developed this springtime carrot pie recipe for Hamilton Beach. I used the Hamilton Beach Stack & Snap™ 10 Cup Food Processor to puree the roasted carrots (it’s so fun to drop them down the chute and watch them whiz around the bowl). I also used the food processor to chop the pecans – it’s a major time saver.
About the Brown Sugar Pecan Crust
This crust is seriously amazing. It’s become my go-to crust for many pies and cheesecakes. I love the crunch that the pecans impart, and the combination of brown sugar and butter cannot be beaten.
If you fall in love with this crust (I did), check out the turtle cheesecake I made with almost the same crust. It’s so decadent!
Roasted Carrot Ingredients
- 9 medium-sized carrots well washed and tops trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Pecan Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Carrot Filling Ingredients
- Roasted carrots above
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
Roasted Carrot Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line carrots in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Drizzle with oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until carrots are soft.
Pecan Crust Instructions
- Leave oven on at 350°F.
- Grease a 9” pie pan.
- Mix all crust ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Press crust into and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Poke a few holes in the crust with a fork.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, salt and vanilla.
- Pour into pre-baked crust and spread with a spatula or a knife until even.
Carrot Filling Instructions
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Puree the roasted carrots in the food processor until the pieces are very finely chopped.
- Remove the roasted carrots from the food processor and measure 2 cups + 3 tablespoons of carrots. Return the measured quantity to the food processor. Save any excess to throw on a salad.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of the food processor and puree.
- Pour carrot filling over cheesecake filling.
- Bake for 70 minutes or until the edge of the carrot filling is set but the center of the pie is still a bit jiggly.
- Turn the oven off and leave the pie in the oven to cool for one hour.
- Refrigerate until ready to slice and eat.
This recipe was originally featured on Hamilton Beach’s blog. Head over there to learn more about this carrot pie!