Shoofly cupcakes are inspired by the classic Pennsylvania Dutch pie made with sugar syrup. Shoofly cupcakes have all of the same flavors as the shoofly pie. They are sticky sweet cupcakes made with sugar syrup and brown sugar crumbs. They are best served warm, à la mode or topped with whipped cream.
If you saw my post on shoofly pie (in bar format), you know what shoofly pie is. Shoofly pie cupcakes are my cupcake interpretation of the pie.
Shoofly Cupcakes Recipe
The recipe for these cupcakes is an adaptation of Sallie’s guest post on Not So Humble Pie.
Crumb Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Syrup Filling Ingredients
- 3/4 cup syrup I used Lyle's Golden Syrup. See my post on shoofly pie bars for other options.
- 3/4 cup water hot but not boiling
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons crumbs from above
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Crumb Crust Instructions
- In a small mixing bowl, mix all of the crumb ingredients together. I do this part by hand. The crumbs will be small and loose, like fine breadcrumbs.
- Set two tablespoons of crumbs aside to use in the whipped cream.
Syrup Filling Instructions
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the syrup filling ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Fill the cupcake liners one third full with packed down crumbs.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons of the syrup over the crumbs. I used four tablespoons on mine and some of them overflowed in the oven.
- Top the syrup with another layer of crumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower heat to 350 F and bake for another 20 minutes.
Whipped Cream Instructions
- Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
- Mix in crumbs and sugar.
- Pipe on warm cupcakes and enjoy!
How Much Whipped Cream Do You Like?
In the photo at the top of this post, I featured the shoofly pie cupcake with a huge mound of whipped cream. I (and the majority of people in the Cupcake Project Facebook community who I polled) think it looks best this way. However, if simplicity is your style, check out the alternate presentation of these cupcakes with just a small dollop of whipped cream that I shared on the Cupcake Project Facebook page.