Strawberry banana pudding is a refreshing, classic comfort food. It’s a perfect treat to serve when your hot, sticky, exhausted family walks in the door.
It should be made ahead of time, in the morning of a day that will be full of activity.
Why Strawberry Banana Pudding Works
The strawberries in this recipe give boring banana pudding a cheery exterior and brighten banana pudding’s flavor, making it more alive and fresh. Tip: You can swap the strawberries for any fresh berries for the same effect.
As a bonus, you can get kids in your family involved by having them break up vanilla wafers to put in the bottoms of the ramekins that you use.
The homemade pudding I use is based on a recipe on Hilah Cooking that I modified it to give it more of a vanilla punch.
What You’ll Need to Make This Banana Pudding Recipe
How Do You Make Strawberry Banana Pudding?
Start by either making pudding (see my recipe below) or using a store-bought one.
Line the bottoms of ramekins with vanilla wafers. I use my homemade vanilla wafers as the base of my strawberry banana pudding.
Top the wafers with vanilla pudding.
On top of the pudding layer, add a layer of sliced bananas and strawberries.
Finally, whip up some topping (made with whipped cream, sugar, cream cheese, and sweetened condensed milk) and put a nice dollop on top.
Refrigerate for at least one hour to give the pudding time to soften the vanilla wafers.
Strawberry Banana Pudding Recipe
Strawberry Banana Pudding Ingredients
- 1/3 cup vanilla sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 vanilla wafers I recommend my homemade vanilla wafers.
- 2 ripe bananas cut into slices
- 8 strawberries cut into small pieces
Whipped Topping Ingredients
- 6 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
Strawberry Banana Pudding Directions
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine the vanilla sugar, cornstarch, and milk. Whisk thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk again to combine.
- Add the butter.
- Stir constantly until the mixture just begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer another 2 minutes or until it has the consistency of porridge, stirring constantly to keep the pudding from getting lumpy.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and set aside to cool.
- Line the bottoms of ramekins with vanilla wafers. You may need to break them to get them to fit well and that's OK - no one will know or care.
- Evenly distribute cooled pudding over wafers in each ramekin.
- Top the pudding with a layer of bananas.
- Top the bananas with strawberries.
Whipped Topping Directions
- Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
- Mix in sugar.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly mix cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk.
- Gently fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream.
- Dollop whipped topping over strawberry banana pudding.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.