Start with a milk chocolate brownie cupcake, add more chocolate (in the form of mini chocolate chips), mini marshmallows, and chopped almonds and you have a rocky road cupcake. To make the rocky road cupcake unforgettable, add a chocolate meringue frosting toasted with a culinary torch (or your broiler)!
Rocky Road Cupcake Recipe
Note: I originally published this recipe on Paula Deen’s website in 2010. I have since developed the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake recipe. If you prefer a lighter chocolate cupcake recipe to a dense brownie-like cupcake, try using the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake recipe, folding in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and almonds from the recipe below, and using the frosting from the recipe below.
Rocky Road Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup almonds loosely chopped
Chocolate Meringue Frosting Ingredients
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 18 almonds mini marshmallows, and chocolate pieces for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and milk until blended.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in marshmallows, chocolate chips, and almonds.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Chocolate Meringue Frosting Directions:
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Set mixing bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.
- Whisk until sugar has reached 110 F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove mixing bowl from the pot and place on mixer.
- Whisk for 10 minutes on medium speed using the whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high speed for another five minutes (you should see stiff glossy peaks).
- Whisk in cocoa powder until just integrated.
- Spoon onto cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with an almond, marshmallow, and piece of chocolate.
- Toast the meringue and marshmallow using a culinary torch or placing under your oven broiler for just a quick second. Make sure to not walk away as these will toast fast.