Rocky Road cupcakes start with a milk chocolate brownie cupcake, then add mix-ins of mini chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and chopped almonds. To make the rocky road cupcake unforgettable, add toasted chocolate meringue frosting.
These Rocky Road cupcakes are the Rocky Road ice cream recipe in cupcake form. The frosting is similar to – but not quite as fluffy as – my marshmallow frosting; it has the addition of cocoa powder for an extra chocolate boost.
What Will You Need to Make These Cupcakes?
I recommend a stand mixer or electric hand mixer in addition to the usual baking tools. Your arms will thank you; you have to spend about 20 minutes whisking egg whites to make the meringue frosting for this recipe.
While not essential, a culinary torch will let you precisely control how much you toast the chocolate meringue frosting.
You will need a candy thermometer to make this recipe.
Mix-ins are essential to make this recipe. You will have to buy mini chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, almonds, and chocolate chunks (for decorating).
How to Make Rocky Road Cupcakes
Milk Chocolate Brownie Cupcakes
Start by preheating your oven to 350 F and filling cupcake tins with liners.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Terminology like this is covered in my post on how to make cupcakes, so read that as a primer if this step is confusing.)
Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and milk.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Add and fold in mix-ins of mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and chopped almonds.
Fill cupcake liners and bake until a toothpick comes out dry.
Remove cupcakes from the cupcake tin and cool on a cooling rack or on your counter if you don’t have one.
Chocolate Meringue Frosting
Begin by combining egg whites and sugar in a heat-proof bowl. (I use the metal bowl of my stand mixer, and these instructions are written for a stand mixer or electric hand mixer.)
Place the mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water and whisk until the mixture reaches 110 F on a candy thermometer.
Remove bowl and whisk for 10 minutes on medium speed.
Whisk for an additional 5 minutes on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Whisk in cocoa powder until incorporated.
Spoon frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Top each cupcake with an almond, a mini marshmallow, and a tiny piece of chocolate.
Use a culinary torch (or a broiler) to toast the marshmallow frosting.
Rocky Road Cupcake Notes
Note: I originally developed this recipe in 2010 for Paula Deen. I have since developed my own chocolate cupcake recipe. If you prefer a lighter chocolate cupcake recipe to a dense brownie-like cupcake, try using my chocolate cupcake recipe, folding in the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and almonds from the recipe below, and using the frosting from the recipe below.
Rocky Road Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almonds roughly chopped
Chocolate Meringue Frosting Ingredients
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 18 almonds
- 18 mini marshmallows
- 18 chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and milk until blended.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in marshmallows, chocolate chips, and almonds.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for twenty-five minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Chocolate Meringue Frosting Directions:
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Set mixing bowl on top of a pot of boiling water.
- Whisk until the mixture has reached 110 F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove mixing bowl from the pot and place on mixer.
- Whisk for 10 minutes on medium speed using the whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high speed for another five minutes (you should see stiff glossy peaks).
- Whisk in cocoa powder until just integrated.
- Spoon onto cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with an almond, marshmallow, and piece of chocolate.
- Toast the meringue and marshmallow using a culinary torch or placing under your oven broiler for just a quick second. Make sure to not walk away as these will toast fast.