What Do You Do with Rhubarb Compote ?
Of course, I used some rhubarb compote in a rhubarb cupcake. The rest, however, was spread on slices of bread like a jam or entered directly into my mouth with a spoon. You could use the rhubarb compote anywhere you might use applesauce or jam.
Rhubarb Compote Recipe
- 2 lb 2 oz rhubarb
- 1 C sugar*
- Trim off the tops and bottoms of each stalk of rhubarb.
- Use a paring knife to peel away any strings.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Put rhubarb pieces and sugar into a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add a small splash of water (just to keep the rhubarb from burning) and place over medium heat.
- Stir frequently to keep from sticking to the bottom.
- Keep checking it and stirring until all the rhubarb breaks down. Timing will vary based on how much rhubarb you use. It took about 45 minutes for the amount in this recipe.
- When cool, transfer to a container and refrigerate. This will keep for a week or two.