Chocolate mousse is not low calorie. However, this chocolate mousse has no sugar, butter, or heavy cream in it, which makes it a relatively low calorie chocolate mousse. The key to this chocolate mousse is using top quality chocolate. In this chocolate mousse recipe, the flavor of the chocolate itself is what makes the mousse unforgettable and keeps you from missing the sugar and added fat.
The Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Relatively Low Calorie Chocolate Mousse
- 8 raw eggs separated (I suggest using pasteurized eggs)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons black coffee
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are a pale yellow.
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee using a double boiler or a metal boil over boiling water.
- Remove from heat, and mix with a beater or wire whisk, adding the egg yolks a little at a time.
- Add the brandy.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until they are foamy and hold soft peaks.
- Mix two tablespoons of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bowl or individual serving dishes and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. The mousse will thicken up as it chills.