I thought a red wine chocolate ganache could be good, but I had no idea just how good it could be. After tasting my red wine chocolate ganache, I wanted to give myself a standing ovation. This may be the best ganache that I have ever made. It’s intensely chocolaty and buttery smooth with a robust sweetness from the wine.
Try the red wine chocolate ganache on your cupcakes (any will do, but I recommend my regular chocolate cupcakes or red wine cupcakes) or make a big pot of red wine chocolate ganache to dip fruit or bread into at your next wine party. Don’t be surprised when people start bowing down to you and begging you to make it again.
To make this red wine chocolate ganache, I used the basic proportions that I originally found on an eGullet forum. That post no longer exists.
Red Wine Chocolate Ganache
- 2 oz dark chocolate chopped into a few pieces
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 2 oz red wine I used a Shiraz
- Place the chocolate and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 10 seconds and then remove and stir.
- Repeat step 2 until the chocolate is all melted.
- Slowly pour in the wine and mix thoroughly.
- Place in the refrigerator until it hardens enough to easily spread (about 10 minutes).
- Spread on cupcakes, use as a dip, or eat by the spoonful.