Pudding cupcake recipes are very common with cake mixes, but you don’t see many from-scratch pudding cupcakes. I’m not sure why. Pudding adds a nice flavor and moistness to any cupcake. You could make these cupcakes using any flavor of pudding. I used tapioca pudding, but I’d like to try it again some time with butterscotch pudding or chocolate pudding.
Pudding Cupcake Recipe
- 1 C 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 C sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 C flour
- 3 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 C pudding I used tapioca pudding
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the pudding to the butter/sugar, ending on the flour mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
This Could Be a Warning or It Could Be Exciting News
If you use tapioca pudding that has large pearl tapioca in these cupcakes, the pearls will get somewhat hard and rubbery in the cupcakes. They are still edible and not too bad if you don’t mind chewing, but not everyone liked them. The exciting news is that they look really fun inside the cupcakes and your kids just might love them!
Hey, Where’s the Frosting?
These cupcakes got turned into Halloween cupcakes. More on that tomorrow. :)