The tricky part about pecan butter frosting is getting your hands on some pecan butter. Pecan butter is not something that is sold in most stores. It is, however, fairly easy to make nut butter yourself – but there is a trick.
Pecans don’t have as much oil as peanuts or even cashews, so you will need to add in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil as you make it or it will take forever. By forever, I mean over 3 hours (which is how long Jonathan spent trying to make pecan butter for me the first time I made this frosting). You could, of course, make this frosting with any other nut butter you happened to already have sitting around. However, the pecan butter is so yummy!
Pecan Butter Frosting with Chocolate and Bourbon Recipe
Pecan Butter Frosting with Chocolate and Bourbon
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 1 C pecan nut butter check out my instructions on how to make nut butters
- 1 T milk more or less to taste
- 2 T bourbon
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 2 C confectioners' sugar
- Place the butter and pecan nut butter into a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer.
- Gradually mix in the sugar and cocoa.
- When the frosting starts to get thick, incorporate milk and bourbon one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is mixed in and the frosting is thick and spreadable.
- Beat for at least 3 minutes for it to get good and fluffy.