Mulled wine cookies are large, soft spice cookies with mulled wine poured right into the batter.
The mulled wine flavor comes through the best in the mulled wine icing that zig-zags across the tops of the mulled wine cookies. I thought it was pretty to pipe the icing that way, but next time, I’d throw appearance out of the kitchen and paint the whole cookie with the mulled wine icing. The cookie is wonderful, but the icing is what makes it truly shine.
Mulled Wine Cookies Recipe
For years, when I’ve thought about cookies, I’ve turned to Anna Ginsberg’s blog, Cookie Madness. Cookie Madness is like the cookie version of Cupcake Project. Well, it turns out that Anna has a cookbook. I had to check it out!
Buying mulling spices is a nice route to go if you don’t already own all of the component spices that go into the blend like cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole cloves, and orange zest. If you already have those in your pantry, you can try a from-scratch recipe for mulled wine. I love Ina Garten’s mulled wine recipe.
Mulled Wine Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons mulled wine
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons mulled wine
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg.
- Mix in mulled wine.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, cloves. baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Drop balls of dough, each about two tablespoons, on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat - two inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar and mulled wine until fully combined.
- Spread or pipe on cooled cookies.
For more mulled wine fun and the story of my stuffed Rudolph doll, check out my mulled wine cupcakes.