Since my first cupcake went so well from chockylit’s blog, I decided to try another right away. I made lemon curd filled cupcakes.
These were way too sweet and just not particularly good.
I did learn a few things making them though:
1. I learned how to put a filling in a cupcake.
- Wait till the cupcake is cool and use a paring knife to cut into the top of the cupcake and remove a small pyramid.
- Fill the cupcake up.
- Cut part of the pyramid off so you are just left with the part from the top of the cupcake.
- Replace the top on the cupcake.
- When you put the icing on, no one will know that the top had ever been removed.
I didn’t believe this would work until I tried it myself. It actually worked quite well.
2. While I don’t like icing to be very sugary, icing doesn’t pipe well unless it has lots of sugar. I skimped on the sugar in the icing for this recipe and I had big problems getting it to look nice on the cupcake. I was so displeased with the look of them that I didn’t even take a picture. Next time I may take a pic anyway. We shall see.