Ice cream pie is a refreshing and easy to make dessert for a hot summer day! Try my key lime ice cream pie or experiment with your own favorite flavors.
What Do You Need to Make an Ice Cream Pie?
To make an ice cream pie, all you need is ice cream and a crust!
However, it is helpful to have some toppings on hand. Top ice cream pies with:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh fruit
- Cookie crumbs
How Much Ice Cream Does it Take to Make an Ice Cream Pie?
For a 5″ ice cream pie, you’ll need one cup of ice cream.
For a 9″ ice cream pie, you’ll need three cups of ice cream.
What is The Best Ice Cream Flavor to Use for Ice Cream Pies?
You’ll see here that I used key lime ice cream. However, there are so many great ice cream pie flavors.
Use your favorite ice cream! You can even use mix-ins with your ice cream or combine multiple flavors into one pie.
The Best Pie Crust to Use on an Ice Cream Pie
I used a pretzel crust on my ice cream pies. The sweet and salty combination works really well together. But, a graham cracker crust (with homemade graham crackers or store-bought ones) or an Oreo crust (again with homemade Oreos or store-bought ones) would also be great!
Shortbread crusts like the one I used in my Prickly Pear Lemon Bars would also be a nice choice.
Classic butter crusts don’t taste as good frozen as cookie-style crusts do.
How to Make an Ice Cream Pie
To make an ice cream pie, first prepare your crust and bake it in a pie pan. I like using mini 5″ pie pans for our family, but if you want leftovers or are serving a group, making larger pies works just as well.
Add softened ice cream to the hot pie crust and smooth out the top with a spatula. The hot pie crust will cause the ice cream to melt, making it easier to smooth out.
Freeze for several hours.
Lastly, decorate the pie however you would like and serve!
If you like ice cream pies, you’ll also like…
- Mango margarita ice cream pie
- Turtle ice cream pie
- The Ice Cream Sandwich Sandwich (Plus, Nine Bonus Ice Cream Sandwich Ideas!)
How to Make an Ice Cream Pie
- 2 cups small pretzels
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
Ice Cream Pie
- 3 cups ice cream any flavor you like, softened
- whipped cream or other toppings to taste
Pretzel Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Crush all ingredients in a mini food processor (or place them in a sandwich bag and crush with a rolling pin) until they look like wet sand.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9" pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Ice Cream Pie Instructions
- Spread softened ice cream evenly over the warm pretzel crust.
- Freeze for several hours. Then, cover with plastic wrap and continue to freeze until ready to serve. (If you cover with plastic wrap right away and it's not 100% smooth, you'll see plastic wrap lines in your frozen pie.)
- Decorate with whipped cream or any other toppings that you like.