What do you do when you have a bowl full of cherry cola “maraschino” cherries? You make cherry cola pie, of course!
Just as you wouldn’t expect chicken glazed with wine to taste just like a bottle of wine, don’t expect the cherry cola pie to taste exactly like a cherry cola. The burst of fresh cherry flavor outshines the cola flavor. You’ll find that this pie has a comforting sweetness and a recognizable spice blend that makes this cherry pie even more all-American than a classic cherry pie. And, oh, that crust – I couldn’t get enough of its flaky goodness! If you do want to kick the cola flavor up a notch, simply top the pie with homemade cola ice cream (the ice cream really does taste just like cola)!
Cherry Cola Pie
Cola Crust Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup cola syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
Cherry Pie Filling Ingredients
- 4 cups fresh cherries pitted and de-stemmed (I used cherry cola "maraschino" cherries for this pie, but it is not necessary.)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cola
Cola Crust Instructions
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces and very gently mix into dry ingredients until it forms pea-sized crumbs of butter covered in flour. A pastry cutter works great for this. I just use my hands. You want the butter to stay cold so don't massage it too much.
- Add vodka a few tablespoons at a time. Mix into the other ingredients using a rubber spatula.
- Add the cola syrup a few tablespoons as a time. Gently mix between each addition.
- Add the water a few tablespoons at a time until the dough can stick together in a large ball. You should still be able to see small dollops of butter throughout the dough. If it's a little dry, add a touch more water until the dough comes together. The dough should be wet and sticky.
- Divide the dough into eight equal-sized balls.
- Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or up to two days if you want to prepare in advance.
Cherry Pie Filling Instructions
- Toss cherries with cornstarch and place in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of the cola and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring gently and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup of cola and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
Pie Assembly Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F with the oven rack in the middle position.
- Take out one the dough balls and roll into a roughly 6 inch diameter circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Transfer the rolled dough to 5 inch pie tin and gently press in.
- Leave 1/2 inch of overhang and trim anything beyond that.
- Repeat for the next 3 dough balls.
- Divide the pie filling evenly between the four pies.
- One at a time, roll the remaining four balls into 7" circles. Use a pastry cutter (or a pizza cutter or knife) to cut the circles into strips. Create a lattice by weaving the strips over and under each other on top of each pie.
- Fold the ends of the lattice and the extra 1/2 inch of the bottom crust under itself.
- Crimp the dough together using the tines of a fork or whatever crimping method you prefer.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until crusts are golden.
- Serve warm, ideally with cola ice cream.