Homemade pumpkin pie spice sprinkles are the perfect bridge between summer ice cream treats and and fall baking. I put my pumpkin pie spice sprinkles over vanilla bean ice cream in a homemade graham cracker waffle cone. But, they would also add a fall flavor punch to any dessert!
Making homemade sprinkles is so much easier than I ever imagined; see my post on homemade strawberry sprinkles for Parade magazine for a primer.
The key to the flavor of these sprinkles is pumpkin pie spice. If you aren’t able to find the spice mixture in your area, you can buy it online or make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice. (View on Amazon)
This is the tip I used to pipe rows of homemade sprinkles. My four year old was able to help with this. You can do it! (View on Amazon)
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Sprinkles
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons water
- Mix all ingredients until fully combined.
- Pipe thin long lines (I used Wilton tip #4) onto parchment paper. Don't worry about the lines being perfect - you'll be breaking them up later. If you don't have a pastry tip, you can just cut a tiny hole in the corner of a sandwich bag.
- Leave the sprinkles out to dry overnight.
- Break the sprinkles up into sprinkle-sized pieces. You could use a knife for this, but it's just as easy to use your hands. They break up really easily.