If you didn’t grow up eating Magic Shell on ice cream, you need a quick primer before I get into the specifics of my homemade pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell.
Magic Shell is the ice cream topping that pours on to ice cream as a liquid and then instantly freezes into a hard shell. When I was a kid, Magic Shell always meant hard chocolate topping. (View on Amazon)
But, all of those options weren’t enough for me! I wanted to make homemade Magic Shell and I wanted a pumpkin pie spice flavor!
It turns out that Magic Shell’s magic is performed by coconut oil. Coconut oil hardens immediately on contact with ice cream. This pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell is made using a mixture of white chocolate and coconut oil along with pumpkin pie spice and a little salt and sugar. It’s incredibly easy to make and creates the exact same results as the store-bought product. My recent foray into homemade sprinkles got me jazzed about making piles of sprinkles in gobs of flavors. Now, I’m getting excited about trying my hand at all kinds of homemade Magic Shell flavors!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell Recipe
This pumpkin pie spice Magic Shell recipe is an adaptation of the creamsicle Magic Shell by Juanita’s Cocina.
The key to the flavor of this Magic Shell is pumpkin pie spice. If you aren’t able to find the spice mixture in your area, you can buy it online or make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice. (View on Amazon)
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Magic Shell
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Using a double boiler or a glass or metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water, slowly melt the white chocolate chips.
- While still over the double boiler, mix in the coconut oil until fully combined and then mix in the pumpkin pie spice, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour over ice cream.
- Wait for the homemade Magic Shell to harden.
- Crack and eat!