Whether or not you see yourself as a serious outdoorsy type, I assure you that these gorp muffins – packed with peanuts, raisins, oats, and chocolate chips – are for you. Gorp muffins are for times out with the scout troop, a short day hike on the trail with friends, a stroll around a city sculpture park on your lunch break, the trip to the parking garage, or even the perilous trek across the kitchen to open the oven.
What Does Gorp Stand For?
People often ask, “What is gorp?” Gorp is another word for trail mix. It is a traditional hiker’s snack.
I’ve always heard that gorp stands for good old raisins and peanuts. However, others say that the recipe is for:
- granola, oats, raisins, and peanuts
- grapes, oranges, raisins and peanuts
- gobs of raw protein
Gorp Muffin Recipe
The peanuts, raisins, oats, and chocolate chips in these gorp muffins are mixed throughout – you can’t take a bite that doesn’t have at least two of the four. The muffins taste exactly like the beloved trail mix!
I also recommend that you learn how to make monkey bread muffins because they are super easy and fun to eat.
For another great hiking snack, make banana leather with nutella ahead of time.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture a little bit at a time until just combined.
- Mix in half and half until fully integrated.
- Stir in oats, chocolate chips, peanuts, and raisins.
- Fill muffin cups all the way to the top with batter (they won't rise).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out dry.