It never would have occurred to me to candy sweet peas had I not tried a candied pea as part of a dessert at The Guild House in Columbus. The candied peas are crunchy and sugary with a sweet pea flavor on the inside. I’ve been leaving them out in my kitchen and snacking on them as I walk by the bowl. But, they are also wonderful for a totally unique dessert decoration.
Here they are on top of my Candied peas would also be fun over ice cream!
Crunchy Candied Sweet Peas
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 ounces freeze dried peas
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan, stirring occasionally to ensure that the sugar dissolves.
- Add peas and boil for another five minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil for thirty minutes or until there is almost no remaining water. If you wait until all of the water is gone, the peas will start to burn.
- Transfer peas to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Turn oven to 175 F and place peas in the oven for two hours or until crispy.
In other unique things to candy, have you seen my candied cucumbers?