Crab and asparagus mini quiches – also known as quiche cupcakes or quiche muffins – are perfect single-serving versions of their larger counterparts. Each personal-sized crab and asparagus mini quiche is packed full of gruyere, crab meat, and asparagus. These mini quiches are perfect for brunch buffets, showers, spring picnics, or any time you want to impress a crowd.
From their buttery crusts to their cheesy filling, these mini quiches will be sure to please your guests. Great things do come in small packages.
Why This Recipe Works
The tried and true combination of crab and asparagus is enhanced by the distinctive taste of gruyere cheese. Gruyere is often used in baking because it melts well, doesn’t overpower the other ingredients, and adds complexity.
Making quiche as mini quiche muffins guarantees that every guest will have their own serving.
Plus, for me, eating a mini version of something is more fun than eating a portion of a larger amount.
How to Make Crab and Asparagus Mini Quiches
Each personal-sized crab and asparagus mini quiche “cupcake” starts with a from-scratch buttery crust seasoned with cracked pepper.
The baked quiche cupcake crust is then filled with gruyere.
Mini quiches then get fluffy eggs and a generous helping of crab meat.
The quiche cupcakes are finally topped with asparagus roasted with just a touch of olive oil and salt and baked.
Other Brunch Ideas
If you’re looking for some other tasty brunch ideas, I recommend you check out:
- Any one of my overnight french toast casseroles: overnight raspberry stuffed French toast casserole, overnight strawberry French toast casserole, or overnight Bananas Foster French toast casserole – As their names imply, they are mostly put together the day before your brunch and baked in the morning.
- Monkey bread muffins – fill, dip, or stuff to create the perfect flavor combination.
- This sauteed potato cake from Salt & Wind – it sounds like a great savory accompaniment to these mini quiches.
Crab and Asparagus Mini Quiches
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Roasted Asparagus Ingredients
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup shredded gruyere
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch ground dry mustard
- 1/2 cup crab meat cooked
- pre-cooked mini quiche crusts from above
- roasted asparagus from above
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut cold butter into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Add flour, butter, cracked pepper, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Use your hands to combine until the mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Add water a tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing with your hands until the mixture sticks together when you squeeze it, being careful to not over mix. The batter should not become a solid ball.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 liners.
- Divide batter evenly between the liners. Press batter into the bottom of each liner and push it about halfway up the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Roasted Asparagus Instructions
- Break the tough ends off of each spear and discard.
- Cut the asparagus into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, toss asparagus with olive oil and salt.
- Spread asparagus on a baking sheet and broil at 450 F for 15 minutes.
Mini Quiche Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, mix the gruyere and flour. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whip eggs with heavy whipping cream and mustard until fully combined.
- Sprinkle gruyere evenly over pre-baked pie crusts.
- Spoon crab meat on top of the gruyere, evenly distributing it between the cupcakes.
- Pour egg mixture over crab meat, filling the cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Arrange asparagus pieces on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake tins and set on paper towels to dry any moisture off of the bottoms of the liners.
- Serve warm.